Steel Humanoid Robot by Yasutaro Mitsui

Brian..

I took a break from building, but I've finally got back into the swing of things. Here's the Steel Humanoid, the 1930s robot made by Yasutaro Mitsui. I had to make changes because the original wasn't designed to walk. I believe he was just intended to bow. Well, no bowing here. He's one of my S-L-O-W walking robots and I like them that way. He's so slow I can leave him walking across the table while I make a cup of tea.

I looked at this one before as a 3D candidate, but there's no way that regular printing can do justice to that wonderful wireless junk shop attached to his chest. Resin printing can, though. There's detail there that you can't even see such as a dial in the central dial, with a red gel behind it and a TINY needle pointer. I could have added an extra LED to illuminate the part. This is a combination of resin and regular printing - resin head, hands and equipment panels. The structural parts are regular plastic.

I'll rework the mouth to get more of a grimmace. The legs need a little alteration to get more variation in width. I'd like to find larger, more authentic valve lights, but these will do for now. It's a slightly leggy design, rather top-heavy, and the first run was unstable. I realised that the robot was taking long steps that undermined stability. So I lifted the motor up by about half an inch and this shortened the stride. A really useful tip if you have a marginally unstable robot. You could design bigger feet, but you reach a point where he would look like a clown. 

I'll post a video of him in action later. 

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

JAPANESE ROBOT.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• Tinplate6

• Martian Gil

☕  - the emoji is a cup of tea?   or maybe a bowl of soup...
Another classic Brian!   Very, nicely done - I look forward to the video.

Cheers!

- side note - you have to just love his eyebrows.

Brady, this is just a trial of the resin printer. I'm already way behind with other projects.  I love building but don't enjoy the production line. 

Here he is in action. Those valve lights flicker quite realistically. I added a resistor to drop the intensity of the LEDs to something like an old radio. Without the resistor he looks manic with wild flickering orange lights dancing on his head. I had him walking around with one arm upright as in the old photo, but he looked like something out of the Third Reich. 

2 hours ago, Brian.. said:

Brady, this is just a trial of the resin printer. I'm already way behind with other projects.  I love building but don't enjoy the production line. 

Here he is in action. Those valve lights flicker quite realistically. I added a resistor to drop the intensity of the LEDs to something like an old radio. Without the resistor he looks manic with wild flickering orange lights dancing on his head. I had him walking around with one arm upright as in the old photo, but he looked like something out of the Third Reich. 

Too cool Brian! Welll done.