1905 Lehmann walking mechanisim Pat. 801,668

robothut

Back in 1904 Lehmann applied for a patent for a human like walking mechanism.  The patent was granted in 1905. They used for a wind up toy called ADAM.  I have used the basic design for walking robots starting 2007 with a smoking robot cart pusher I called Speedy delivery and in 2019 with a 3d printed cart pusher I call ADAM. I have a  PDF of the patent. but the new Alphadrome set up does not take PDF files any longer. So will look for a PDF to jpeg converter program.

AdamPat.jpg

I just shot a short video of the smoking robot cart pusher based on the 1905 patent to youtube. Oddly the toy still have the batteries in it from 2007, so with 12 year old batteries I fired it up.

Love it, John. It has a unique, realistic action. That must have taken some working out. 

I've adjusted the settings so that you can upload pdfs.

Thanks Brian for the PDF upload function. Yes I only made 2 of these back in 2007. The first one is like the patent shows and that design has one flaw in that the legs do not lock when striding backward, so if the robot moves forward for any reason that is faster than the motor driven leg movement the leg will fold up. So on the second version I added a cam that keeps this from happening. Now on the new 3d printed version that I will post soon. I have made it even better. The walking action is fantastic and it is a real simple build. I will add the build pages for the 2007 builds to the RIGG custom section for reference.

1905...?  There were some intelligent people in every era.

This is truly the essence of a robot in action. The mechanics is awesome.🤖

There are a few video's of the ADAM windup toy made by Lehmann from the 1905 patent on you tube. here is one of them. 

Remarkable...😺 so many hidden gems thru out time. 

But I cringe when I see a wind up Toy....so afraid I'd ruin the wind mechanism.:wacko:

Your battery🔋 powered robot design, I feel comfortable about operating.

• 2 weeks later...

The original design takes some short cuts to keep it simple. The reason the man walks so franticly is so the PUSHING leg stays locked in the extended position. The toy uses the legs as the governor for the wind up spring. If the toy had a separate governor so the legs moved slower they would not stay locked and would fold up mid stride. So that's why I had to add a CAM to the design to keep the legs locked when pushing forward at a slow rate of speed or when on display. Great design the way they did it for a small windup toy.

• 2 weeks later...