Tara "Space City Vinyl Playset" with Timmee Figures + Other Surprises

space.trucks

Still cannot believe I brought this bundle home. My interest was in the "self-contained playset" angle, and how the box itself is a component in the overall design. I have found another example online which did not have the additional pieces and am fairly certain this was originally just the case, figures, and printed cardboard fold-ups.

01IMG_8591.jpg.8b5559c2028b31d18e96927705fcaee4.jpg

02IMG_8592.jpg.7e3903fb20db663359872eae3029f0c3.jpg

Nicely done, and the mention of "Star Wars" and the others helps confirm the date to 1978 or 1979. "After Kenner".

08IMG_8605.jpg.506c69104ab0c6cda6eb031982e36a04.jpg

Vendor was very thorough in explaining that the bundle had been in storage for many years and had been packed up by the original owner himself. So everything here was for the same score. Cost more to ship it, and once I recognized what that playmat surface was I had to bring it home.

IMG_8565a.jpg.140a74d39ba9ac3d3a94f66d27be3054.jpg

Marx "Giant Martian Landing" playmat. Surface is a bit tacky from storage, currently airing out on the table for a day or two. The "Lot" also included a trio of yellow cast Marx camera and telescope stands (below at right) which may also have been "Giant Martian Landing" components.

IMG_8608.jpg.36f5ce049e6d759353615a561ff673d2.jpg

Everything.

IMG_8609.jpg.8917c03d286c77f65c5999252ba0d8be.jpg

"Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" Earth Directorate Fighters and Draconian Hatchet Fighters. I am fairly certain these were not shipped with the set from the factory and had been included by the original owner due to the era of production being about the same.

IMG_8610.jpg.e7bb0dd6bd3eba6d3de70ef8ca50c733.jpg

Hatchet Fighters likewise marked.

IMG_8613.jpg.6b49f3119916854021ba2c305cbd99b8.jpg

The Laser Team figures which came with the "Lot", and by my eyes there's at least two varieties of plastic, possibly three. Some look brand spankin' new, others have mucho playwear including user-inflicted alterations, and I doubt it's possible to determine which shipped with the set (estate sale listing). No Geiger Counter Guy either! even though one is on the box art, darn.

IMG_8614.jpg.0e4239fd19f10c87eaf33368e3299b53.jpg

These two yeilded a surprise! ❤️ the Timmee Mailbox Robot, have a couple others and both are hollow-backed like the black one.

IMG_8616.jpg.42b51157682e113da7935dc67ad2af86.jpg

The white one is solid-backed, and am wondering if this might be a way to "date" when sets might have been pressed? The picture doesn't show it well but the feets are also differently shaped: Much wider on the black casting. Will do a comparison with the other ones I have.

IMG_8621.jpg.4a40180b6b2c7ecdcda4dd266793efd5.jpg

These get fitted to the inside of the carry case as shown on the cover. Haven't given it the college try yet. Was too busy ogling the playmat. And now the robots.

IMG_8625.jpg.93c25e0711195589cce66c1a49409678.jpg

The set's fold-up rocket, which works better on its side where you can see the engine nozzles on the bottom. Mine is missing a matching triangular bit for the opposite.

IMG_8627.jpg.de9ff4d2650faac6c2e00de23d8eec11.jpg

I guess the rocket goes on the red spot? and the printed components along the sides, somehow.

More in blog form here:
https://spacetrucks.blogspot.com/2019/08/tara-toy-corporation-space-city-vinyl.html

wow..That rainbow bright color scheme sure screams 1970a....Buck Rogers in the 25th Century rockets?, cool.

least they were included, original or not...Box drawing seems to indicate those rockets come inside, who knows.I did like their design.

I saw the movie twice in the theatres....I dunno, I was a teenager.🚀

sometimes the artist is not familiar with the movie...

Same thing happened with early Star Trek books the artist drew Warp engines with exhaust spewing.😃

Cheers Bro! So far the only other example of the set I have been able to find does not appear to include the ships, playmat or random plastic playset pieces. The reference's link to the 'b4y is dead so all we have to ponder is the first image in thumbnail form:

picclick1.jpg.e76ca1692286bd1e45455bd4c4b27cf2.jpg

I did learn more about Tara Toys, founded in 1975 and who are currently best known for their licensed Hot Wheels carry cases sculpted to look like automobile tires. Past claim to fame were the unlicensed "Space Case" trayed vinyl storage boxes made for 2-4" figures with Kenner "Star Wars" swag in mind.

tara-case1.jpg.634e1f3288b7ed48a3226e1cb1064a8f.jpg

tara-case1a.jpg.a5323bded9a2003f3013bbb3df47ec8d.jpg

tara-case2.jpg.7b6841e284fbe1e35754d9e9a4bd44d5.jpg

I like that one! May have to track down one for my Archer & Ajax guys.

I still remember "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" as the TV show to see every week at the coincidental onset of puberty, and was all about Erin Gay's glistening lip gloss + rippled spandex body suits. The minute they changed that formula it tanked no matter who was voicing Twiki.

hqdefault.jpg.5589d1f828635721b9e0d5e79cb4bc35.jpg

I'll just leave this here.

Oh yeah....All the guys in the Air Base I lived at, loved her.😃

Had to have a figure to wear that spandex....Very popular in N.Y. City during 1980's.

I had a job interview with a woman who wore spandex bottom in 1987. ( I got the job)

I liked Erin's white uniform, though, it seemed professional to me. She looked cute in a helmet. Modern day Amelia Earhart.

I don't care, if people hated the show...I watched the TV show.  It had some interesting ideas.

Like the smarter robots were a unit sometimes worn by 🤖 Twiki-bots.....And they  used Issac Asimov 'Positronic Brain' technology.

One episode talked about it. :lecture:

Erin Grey certainly was an asset for the series... and Twinki a repulsive element (still it could not surpass in sillyness Galactica's robodog)

JCC

Oh jesus Muffey or something like that. The robo Daggit. Yeah we all hated it. I have very little BSG nostalgia. Never watched the reboot.

But this turned up, too bad we can't see the components, but dang:

320713012_dang-1copy.jpg.d331d33a59f848bc28a9747d1b2d5136.jpg

Active listing. I'd like to examine it but am just about to replace a car, so smoke em if you got em. Click here to see more.

4 hours ago, space.trucks said:

Oh jesus Muffey or something like that. The robo Daggit. Yeah we all hated it. I have very little BSG nostalgia. Never watched the reboot.

But this turned up, too bad we can't see the components, but dang:

320713012_dang-1copy.jpg.d331d33a59f848bc28a9747d1b2d5136.jpg

Active listing. I'd like to examine it but am just about to replace a car, so smoke em if you got em. Click here to see more.

I suspect this is why you can't see the components. In the description, towards the end it says:

you get the Box Photoed Shows Some Ware Great Man Cave Display Piece

So I believe the sale is for the box only

11 hours ago, ANZinSpace said:

I suspect this is why you can't see the components. In the description, towards the end it says:

you get the Box Photoed Shows Some Ware Great Man Cave Display Piece

So I believe the sale is for the box only

"Vintage Tim Mee Toy Star Battle Processed Plastics Space Aliens Brand new. Condition is New." (Pix show the still-sealed box.)

I think the F-15 has a time-vectoring device. Only disappointment I have is that there's no Chinook helicopter.

Yup! big box of plastic siphoning sales from "Return of the Jedi" fever. I might bite at $35 US  shipped (and taxed) but would have difficulty bringing myself to open it. Would love to study how they made the mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

Some additional madness related to the Tara/HG Lot surfaced, summed up as "Nearly Complete HG Toys BUCK ROGERS Galactic Play Set and Communications Belt Set with Battery Operated Twiki Doll" Lot. Out of my price range as asked for & don't need a Twiki, but with some familiar forms cynically repurposed by HG as "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" swag to sell licensed box art + repackaged plastic. Am taking the liberty of posting some pix from the listing (<-- link) hoping it helps somebody looking into these sets to decide to make the score. I almost would for the sexy modular printed playset, though it is incomplete & most importantly missing the Wilma Deering figure .... Then again that's the one I would have taken to school every day in my pocket until it broke too so, I can understand it having been lost in the sands of time.

listing1.jpg.93847a31af966d59ba07b9c5639b2ec2.jpg

It's a "Lot" sale, everything to the right of the box was originally sold separately from the playset. Communicator belt is pretty hip. I guess you carry both radios at once, and talk to yourself ... ?? or maybe a second belt is missing for your friend on the other side of the room. Hope so. I had a Space: 1999 belt set & am sympathetic if confused. I guess the discs are decoder devices for secret messages you'd signal across the room so mom won't catch on, and you can see all of Twiki you'd want below (or go view the listing from the link above).

listing1a.jpg.c34f75d0225e124a7a0fe5bb54053927.jpg

"Space Commandos"; Quick! which episode were they in?

listing2.jpg.6c87c560025a81ba2d97a7d179819a67.jpg

Centerpiece is the good old HG Toys flying saucer with gangplank ladder, perfect condition other than the licensed Buck Rogers sticker marring the surface (which I wager shipped like that from the factory, just to make it official). The fighters are a match for those from the Tara Lot shown above so here's one source for them -- Been wondering how they were vended, keeping eyes peeled for bagged or blistered pieces too; The Tara Lot had more then two of each and none of the other pieces from this collection. Note how the decal stickers from the wings of the Draconian Fighters are creatively stuck to the yellow runway on the playmat, so it likely did come with a label sheet for owners to decorate the parts with official licensed franchise designs. Or just stick them to stuff, always more rewarding. Sharp looking diorama bits! those are keepers. Love the colors chosen for the paintings, and the base piece is almost flat which is a nice touch.

True to form the box contents appear somewhat different then what's on the box cover. Which looks like it would have set you back all of $14.95 in 1979 money, marked down to $12.49 for Christmas then onto the remainder tables for $8.99 once Season Two bombed. Not making fun of the listing or vendor mind you. It is what it is & I'd love to have it. By the time this was on shelves my space toy buying childhood years were over. I wanted a guitar and still have it.

listing3.jpg.fb7d7a6b15d844fcb53fc53b594098a0.jpg

All figures original to the set. Tigerman looks ready to get busy, always my favorite non-Wilma character from the show. Those Matchbox "Adventure 2000" soldier copies get around and it's always nice to see the LP alien cyborgs, though I think kids loyal to the show would have been a little confused -- Which episode were they from again? Too bad we can't see what's on their base bottoms especially for the actual Buck Rogers figures, would love to know who made them. And Ardala is still hot so there you go. A sealed unit closed at $99 a week ago so that Wilma figure is the key. You're certainly not taking it home for the Matchbox guys or Dr. Huer, and it didn't come with the Twiki doll, which I know you robot collectors want. Bad.

listing4.jpg.18a1ee90810054afcf0d4c042cab2967.jpg

... What's up with Dr. Theopolis there? Looks like a saucer spinner launcher, which would actually be kind of cool. But Theo had a face and that's a gyp. I wonder what it did when you pushed that red button, other then making annoying Bidi Bidi sounds while one of the discs spun around. Arms don't even flex. Pass.

listing5.jpg.cd78437b7d2cc8ce039836a89958dfff.jpg

... Maybe he disco dances, can't miss having that. Link to the listing above. Robot collectors try not to fight too badly over it and good luck to all involved! Fun stuff.

Wow, I'm loving the pictures of the Buck Rogers set! You're motivating to take pictures of my Flash Gordon collection. :D