Small scale metal Foki Robot

Ranger

There is no mold as such 6Stelab9.  It would probably be easier if there was but I like sand casting but it’s slow, well until you have done it a few times then you can speed up a bit.  I am in no rush though and if you try and rush it then your increasing the chance of a failed cast. You just use or make a master and reproduce it in sand. I will make another tomorrow, it comes out (hopefully) just like the one shown here. I cast up hands in metal the same way for the big foki I made about. 3 years ago. It has its limitations as to what you can reproduce though. When it works it’s rewarding!  🍻 

Large Foki hands I cast up below. I made one in wood first. 

801BA4A5-15B2-48BE-B893-B3E653D3B938.jpeg

4AE6D061-580C-4500-BFDA-F4FAFA0E4119.jpeg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ranger

• RoboDerby

• ROBODUDE

• 6Stelab9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In case it needs to be said, I too would love to be on a list if such a thing comes to pass. The hand looks great Paul. It all looks great!

Some guys that cast metal parts are using 3d printed plastic parts as the master that they burn out of the sand mold, There vids on you tube any way. That way they can make a master part that is the same every time when making the sand mold.

Yes John, as long as the part is strong that’s a good way to do it. I can use my masters or whatever I find to use as one over and over until they get worn out. That’s when the printer would be a real time saver as you could print as many as you want. I don’t have a 3D printer to try it yet. Not something I am really bothered about getting even though the things you and Brian make with them are truly amazing. I will leave that to you guys, you have 3D printing nailed for sure. Dunno, maybe I may venture into 3D printing one day but my stuff is a lot more basic so I don’t feel the need to get one. I am happier with a pencil and  paper and a few hand tools etc than sitting at a computer. Hmm, I suppose I might be able get Brian to print plastic parts for me to cast and I could cast metal parts for him. 🤔. 🍻

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my daughter is safely back in Australia now so it’s on with the foki today. Need some small brass screws for the ears. That or just paint the heads copper/gold. It’s all just balanced loosely together at the moment. I just need to fit the feet to the legs, the legs to the  body. Then cast another hand and fit them, put on the brass face surround, fit some lights etc, a bit of tweaking and it should be done. As I have said ,this one is just a rough version to see how it might look. For a small robot, it’s heavy! 

🍻🤖

AADC6658-4C3D-4559-ACBD-7CC155CD4086.jpeg

5490BBF3-2114-45C2-AE7C-52296A6E9E28.jpeg

It’s got a few errors but it’s a learning curve. I have since thought of better ways to do a few aspects of it. It will look ok for a first attempt at this scale. It’s been harder to do than the big one really. 

🤖 🍻 

Foki with ‘Death Ray’  😂 

Its as good as it’s going to get for now. Not at all perfect but I can see how it looks and what needs changing etc.  Could do with some small brass fitting for the ears but I haven’t any at the moment. Feet could be bigger and he could also be a tad taller. I will post a short video, when I figure out how to do it! 🍻 

99216B3C-3612-48A5-B35A-677F15F72C64.jpeg

39C2A3C9-1DA9-4932-ABC0-1F37BED8E949.jpeg

71354B05-8A0C-424E-914A-1A8347B34E8E.jpeg

C5AB13A4-CBAB-4F23-9113-CBDD81A5E373.jpeg

BFFCF139-25F8-4107-B9A8-FA362D466AE5.jpeg

14B52A64-AA89-49D6-8C6F-68B2A40B59AA.jpeg

A8ED7A6B-5D30-4B91-8CBF-E8B5A1DC0392.jpeg

1E1C320D-501B-4EDE-8185-3F53DE5DB409.jpeg

Yes!!! Very cool Paul! Looks fantastic and very cool lighting effect. Wow! Seeing the Foki next to the Astro Spaceman really puts the size in perspective. Must be a real challenge working in that scale. Well done!