Mini Radicon and Mini Sonic robot build.

robothut

I plan to make 5 each of these mini robots and will keep one of each so that leaves 4 in the end to find homes.

What led me to this Mini version was high cost of shipping the larger Sonic robot and Radicon robot designs I made last year. These take less time and money to build and will be less costly too ship.

So email me robothut@yahoo.com if interested.

I kept getting requests for the Radicon robot. And even though it was designed and finished last year I just could not come up with a way too build it and ship it for a price that was low enough to make it possible. If I did the wrinkle gray finnish that only would raise the price even more. So I decided to try and design a Mini Version. It turned out quite nice. I am still using old school electronics from the 1970's / 1980's for the single channel remote and the 4017 counter chip that gives me the 6 sequence steps required for a radicon action. I did find one interference problem with a NEW LED utility light. The power supply of the new light transmits a signal that can make the robot have a mind of its own, but out of all the LED lamps in the house only this one unit does it so there is a problem with the LED lamp unit. Still kind of cool when the robot goes off on its own in that room when the light is ON.

DSC05116.jpg

DSC05114.jpg

DSC05115.jpg

The Mini sonic robot does not use the Helmhertz resonator like the larger Sonic robot I did does. Instead it uses 1980's tech a LM567 tone decoder chip. This let me make the robot smaller but it also lets me tune the robot to respond to any whistle pitch. So you could have two or more of these bots in the same play field and if they had different whistle you could control them individually. Also I put in a flip flop circuit so that you do not have to keep blowing the whistle non stop to turn. A short blow will switch from forwards to turn and so on.

2 minutes ago, robothut said:

Also I put in a flip flop circuit so that you do not have to keep blowing the whistle non stop to turn. A short blow will switch from forwards to turn and so on.

lol!   I forgot to mention that observation - I just considered it incentive to stay in shape and have good wind!  🙂

Hey John--I would love a Radicon--I will email you at Robothut too!!!--Rich---- I have been wanting one of these guys since I saw your original---AWESOME!!! (I hope I am not too late)

Here are 2 pictures of the Mini Sonic robots that are for sale. There is no painting on these bots so I used the Pause Print "filament change" function in the Prusa slicer. That way I could print the arms in black then have the printer pause as I change to silver for the rivets, or I could the upper body and have the printer pause so I could change to black for the head, then pause so I could change to silver for the top dome light ring, then pause so I could change to translucent red for the dome. Same actions on the eyes, mouth and ears. Only difference being that the eyes mouth and ears glue in from the inside as separate parts. 

DSC05125.jpg

DSC05126.jpg

Really terrific step up  in detailing from the original Golden Sonic which is saying a lot considering the previous larger version was already beautiful. Magnificent job John!