50th ANNIVERSARY of MOON LANDING

Elvischris

I am a little surprised no one celebrated the Anniversary of the Moon Landings on the Forum.  I kept thinking anyday day now lots of pictures etc will be shown, but nothing.

So here is my modest offering from the UK to CELEBRATE THE 50th ANNIVERSARY of the MOON LANDING.

I do realise some of the rockets etc are not relevant to the moon landing itself but without this amazing feat then I am sure none of these toys would exist.

group hug.JPG

NPR ( National Public Radio) ran a special piece on the entire effort called “13 minutes to the moon “ 

I was 9 at the time of the launch and 3 feet away from the old RCA black and white ( I would have been closer but mom kept yelling at me to get back )

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, Andyman said:

I remember being glued to the TV at 9 years old.

Exactly my sentence - Cheers Andy!

Sorry no time for posting anything here - We had moon landing documentaries on German TV the whole day long! 🤩

I remember this day 50 yrs ago. My Dad was working part time at Kirs TV. So we were the only ones on the block with color TV. The living room was packed. If I remember,,some of the broadcast was in color. Exciting times. Oh the Saturn V !!!!! A Monster ! Biggest rocket ever. It is still an amazing event when you think of it. The things I learned that year up to the event. 1.5 million lbs of thrust per engine..7.5 Million total,,200,000 gallons of kerosene the first 2 minutes. The 3rd stage carried exotic fuel as I remember it ..Aeorlite 2 and hydrazine. My heroes were named Goddard, Von Braun ,Yeager, Glenn and Armstrong. They were giants to me. I remember that TV event and the other was when I was 6 watching TV,,, then walking out to the flower beds where Mom was digging and said,,,Hey mom the TV says the President is dead ? She didn't jump up..She dropped the spade and cried. It scared me and I hugged here..We have lived through amazing times.

Von_Braun.jpg

Just a crazy side note!

Neil Armstrong is the descendant of Irish /Scottish (father) and German (mother) emigrants. Friedrich Kötter, his German ancestor, came from a farm in Ladbergen /Westfalen only 15 miles from my hometown. He emigrated to the US in 1864 and built the farm house in Wapakoneta / US where Neil Armstrong was born. To hold great speeches is not the business of a Westphalian man. They are considered more quiet and reserved but also prudent and reliable people… 

(The German ancestors of Donald T. came from a southern German wine region. They are very diligent and constantly strive to increase their money and celebrate a different festival every week!)  Sorry I could not resist! 😂 

Last pic. The Kötter farm today…

Farm Kötter Ladbergen 2.jpg

Farm Kötter Ladbergen 3.jpg

Farm Kötter Ladbergen 4.jpg

Farm Kötter Ladbergen.JPG

Thank you for posting..I also remember the Moon landing as a child...barely.

I was watching it on a B&W TV.......Mostly crude graphics of the flight path....But none the less...

I remember I put my plastic Red & White water powered rocket 💧🚀 outside and had my own 'launching' to  celebrate.

Thank you for making a nice tribute. So many people worked on that Apollo project to make it happen.

Thanks Dirk, I have not been aware of Neil Armstrong‘s ancestry. That actually might explain his style of communicating. 

😀

As an impressive side effect of watching the landing, I recall my strong consciousness of the millons of people all focussing this same event, same moment, fascination around the world. Like a huge psychological experiment. 

A few years past the landing on Moon I found my very special souvenir on a flea market. Somebody had captured his deep impressions and emotions immediately following the TV transmission. Inscription on the painting’s backside tells: Sketched and painted after TV, July 21, 1969 at 8:30h, Germany, „Fuss, den Mond beruehrend - Mondfahrt U.S.A.“ (Foot - Touching Moon - Journey to the Moon U.S.A.) A skilled painter, but the blueish sky, brown soil and red helmet? Romanticisms, I love it. 

🌖

6995A53E-2A0C-4A3B-BC0B-696DCC6201F0.jpeg.8bc92d84e36ac75b4ed78384dcb480f5.jpeg

Let's not forget the famous German and then American aerospace engineer Wernher Von Braun who played a leading role in the development of U.S. rocket technology and space science. Without Wernher's contributions Neil might not have made it to the moon when he did in 1969. 

21 hours ago, Golddalek said:

Thank you for posting..I also remember the Moon landing as a child...barely.

I was watching it on a B&W TV.......Mostly crude graphics of the flight path....But none the less...

I remember I put my plastic Red & White water powered rocket 💧🚀 outside and had my own 'launching' to  celebrate.

Thank you for making a nice tribute. So many people worked on that Apollo project to make it happen.

Golddalek - My experience at the time was very similar to yours. I also had a red and white water powered rocket!