Thoughts on Botstock poster reprints

RoboDerby

4 minutes ago, Morbius said:

Reprints wouldn't bother me at all.  IMHO.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter Morbius. Much appreciated.

i have all of the posters plus some that were printed that didn't win that year. I think it would be a great idea to print a poster that included all of the years. It would have to be fairly large to do it justice. Here are some posters that didn't win the contest. No disrespect intended just some very nice ideas. Sorry for the ones I missed.

botstock 5 andyman.jpg

botstock 5 karl.jpg

botstock.jpg

Botstock6postercomp.jpg

botstock8b.jpg

JohnRockin3.jpg

P5200005-002.JPG

post-2-1111971948.jpg

post-2-1112042256.jpg

post-125-0-89822800-1299058831.jpg

post-1487-0-40186900-1303480964.jpg

P5180001.JPG

37 minutes ago, Phil R said:

Here are some posters that didn't win the contest.

Wow! There are some great ones there for sure. I had seen a few of them in the poster contest threads. The Botstock II by Bob Jenson is one I remember seeing and a great design. Though I think it may have been beaten by one of Karl’s as the winner. In fact, unless I’m wrong, was not the official for Botstock II the one of John in the style of the South Park characters? If I could only have one Botstock poster it would be that one by Karl. I hadn’t seen the Botstock 8 with the Iron Giant. That one is pretty cool and the Botstock 6 posters with Robby are beautiful. I love the colors and the font styling. The one of John with the Alphabot guitar is cracking me up though! Thanks for sharing these Phil R. A poster of all of the designs on one sheet would be fantastic. Though considering the logistics in getting the files for all of them,  it might be tricky to produce.

I don't remember who did the desert robbies for B6. It should be in the thread if it still exists. I really liked the BX with all the photos but don't remember the artist.  Steve Welter? won that with  the suitcase robot. Actually, most of the composite photos submitted for entries have a resolution  good enough for a composite  Botstock calendar. 

post-1487-0-35427100-1360901313.jpg

botstock3.jpg

Botstock8b-1.jpg

botstock-x-130310a-sm.jpg

post-125-0-25724400-1299943010.jpg

post-1473-0-05606400-1300512220.jpg

6 hours ago, Phil R said:

Actually, most of the composite photos submitted for entries have a resolution  good enough for a composite  Botstock calendar. 

Dang Phil! Now that is an idea to run with. A calendar would be a perfect idea to bring the posters together in a compilation. Maybe an 18 or 24 month calendar to allow for all of the official selections as well as some of the runners up. Definitely worthwhile to consider making available should a future Botstock come together. Thanks for sharing all of these great images, especially considering some of them may currently be floating around in the image vortex resulting from the recent move to the new server.

1 hour ago, Phil R said:

Actually it could be simply a composite poster which would be much easier.

Either could be a cool and worthwhile project for sure. The toughest part for a newbie such as myself would be tracking down the original artists for permission to include their work. As a former roller derby photographer, I am resistant to make prints of other people’s work without their permission, even for personal use.

• 3 months later...

Just rereading this post and think it would be good to keep it alive. Some great Botstock art has been produced over the past 16 years and it would be a shame if it just all disappeared. I love the idea of a calendar with at least 12 of the winning Botstock posters to start, and then maybe annual additions with others that were finalists but not winners. Actually I think they were all winners! This represents a unique aspect of this hobby: dozens of enthusiasts coming together to celebrate this all too brief period in history when so many space and robot toys were created. We all appreciate the design and creativity that went into their creation and our Botstock posters represent that love and appreciation. Even if Botstock, as an annual event is failing to generate the interest it used to, it would be pretty cool to just have a calendar or two that recognizes these get togethers and chronicles our enthusiasm.

Just my two cents. Your thoughts?

10 hours ago, robert said:

Just rereading this post and think it would be good to keep it alive. Some great Botstock art has been produced over the past 16 years and it would be a shame if it just all disappeared. I love the idea of a calendar with at least 12 of the winning Botstock posters to start, and then maybe annual additions with others that were finalists but not winners. Actually I think they were all winners! This represents a unique aspect of this hobby: dozens of enthusiasts coming together to celebrate this all too brief period in history when so many space and robot toys were created. We all appreciate the design and creativity that went into their creation and our Botstock posters represent that love and appreciation. Even if Botstock, as an annual event is failing to generate the interest it used to, it would be pretty cool to just have a calendar or two that recognizes these get togethers and chronicles our enthusiasm.

Just my two cents. Your thoughts?

Robert, I feel that our sentiments on this subject are similar, though perhaps stemming from different perspectives, recalling I think that you may have attended a Botstock or two while I have not had the privilege, myself. I think a calendar would be great as well.

Does anyone have a running list of the winning poster artists and even better all those who submitted entries?

Joe K. maybe?

At very least it might be worthwhile to publish a new thread With a complete list of past artists and images including photos of the entries where possible.

I for one would be disappointed to think that I might never get the chance to meet up with some of you all at a future Botstock. So if we are discussing celebrating Botstock past, can we also put talk about Botstock future back on the table?

Sincerely, 

The new guy.

We are up to four cents now between my two cents and Robert’s. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apathy is America's greatest asset.☹️ On a lighter note, just reviewing past records can find out a lot of information.  I myself, have photos of past winners as well as other from the years not winners and all posters from each year.  Perhaps Joe as mentioned and Brian can be persuaded to gather info most easily. As to 12+ years on a calendar , many calendars carry multiple months at the end of one year as well as the entire next year.  I would like to help but right now I have enough including recovery from surgery. This is obviously a labor of love for someone to organize everything.