Thoughts on Botstock poster reprints

RoboDerby

Hello Alphadrome friends. Many of you may not be familiar with me and some of you have already welcomed me kindly. I have been a member for a few months now and I am a huge fan of the site and community. So much so that, I have been actively making efforts to add Alphadrome related items as a special part of my collection.

One thing that I would love to have to compliment my collection would be posters from Botstock. I have been lucky to find one so far from a very kind fellow member.

However, in an effort to find more I managed to get in touch with one of the artists Karl Tate, perhaps known by some of you here as Phase Pistol. Karl was responsible for several of these lovely posters. His reply to my inquiry 

was that he no longer had copies available, but that he might be willing to reprint them for me. I explained that I wasn’t sure if this would be fair to those members who attended the events or at least received posters originally and that I wanted to get input from the members first.

So here I am asking for your thoughts on having reprints created. We both agreed that if this was done, at least some small change should be made in order to distinguish this printing from the original.

I am not sure what the price would be for a reprint. But I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not the reprints should be done and also gauge interest, if any, from members who might have missed out the first time around or who might be looking to replace lost or damaged originals.

Of course, I would love to have original copies myself. But I imagine many of you would prefer to keep them and likely have many of them displayed proudly on your walls.

I ask most respectfully for your thoughts and would not wish to pursue this should it be clear that this would cause offense in some way. Best regards to all and thanks for having me among you. Please share your thoughts. 

Your pal on Planet Hayes. 

RoboDerby

AKA Jeremy

It's funny because I never thought about this before now. Are Botstock posters limited to the event editions? Having done 3 posters myself I usually give the extras to Joe. Mind you that I had member sponsors on two of the posters I did that helped pay for producing the copies. Would they have a say in it?

Thanks for your input Andy. I’m not sure about the sponsors. Though, if that would be an issue, perhaps the sponsor names could be omitted as part of the distinction in the reprint. Perhaps the names of the members who actually attended could be printed in place of sponsors as a thank you and to add some new significance to the reproduction  artwork? And certainly any other artists such as yourself could consider having their art included in a second run. Perhaps a collaboration between artists could be arranged to work out details and pricing? It would be awesome to have a complete special edition second run. 

Also, please clarify Andy if it appears that I have misunderstood your question regarding the sponsors. I am not experienced with or knowledgeable of sponsorships of any kind personally and also would not be familiar with any conditions that may have been set at the time of the original printings. Karl also seemed unsure of whether or not these were meant strictly to be limited editions. Though it would seem to me artists would have liberty to reproduce their art as they pleased as long as nobody else’s proprietary properties were included without permission and provided no prior agreements regarding exclusivity are violated. Again, I am not particularly knowledgeable about such details and possible restrictions. For me personally, I would simply appreciate having the artwork along with the nostalgia of the Botstock title and reference to Alphadrome.

26 minutes ago, Fineas J. Whoopie said:

It wouldn't bother me at all.

Thanks for the input Don. I may wait a week or two to allow more time for others to provide feedback or to express their opinion. Then provided that there are no strong opinions to the contrary, I may ask Karl just to have one of each of his designs printed off for me. Perhaps if I am the only one interested I will just ask him to add something along the lines of “Reprinted Exculsively for the RoboDerby Robot Collection” somewhere on the posters to distinguish them from the originals. 

Again if if anyone has feelings about this one way or the other or is interested in possibly purchasing reprints of Karl’s Botstock poster designs please post your opinions or interest here. If others are interested, we can of course settle on something less specific than a reference to my own collection in order to keep them from being identical to the originals. Also other artists responsible for designs of other Botstock posters who might be able to offer me reprints of their work, feel free to contact me. Those with original posters to sell may contact me as well. Though I may have a couple of leads on this already, so I will have to see what I end up with so that I don’t wind up with duplicates.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:33 PM, RoboDerby said:

Also, please clarify Andy if it appears that I have misunderstood your question regarding the sponsors. I am not experienced with or knowledgeable of sponsorships of any kind personally and also would not be familiar with any conditions that may have been set at the time of the original printings. Karl also seemed unsure of whether or not these were meant strictly to be limited editions. Though it would seem to me artists would have liberty to reproduce their art as they pleased as long as nobody else’s proprietary properties were included without permission and provided no prior agreements regarding exclusivity are violated. Again, I am not particularly knowledgeable about such details and possible restrictions. For me personally, I would simply appreciate having the artwork along with the nostalgia of the Botstock title and reference to Alphadrome.

Only 2 posters I did feature the names of sponsor members on them. I think those were the only ones I signed, too. I only brought it up for discussion. In the end it doesn't bother me one way of the other. I don't believe enough people would be interested to do a second run but if you can't find an original I'm sure we could work something out.

2 hours ago, Andyman said:

I don't believe enough people would be interested to do a second run but if you can't find an original I'm sure we could work something out.

Just a couple of others interested so far and if I don’t manage to track down originals of your designs, I will definitely be interested in the possibility of working something out. I do have a couple others interested so far. But not enough for any grand rerelease. So maybe just a few of us getting a handful of specific reprints. I did notice in the old Botstock threads where it appears that there were some second chance offers for prints in the past. I think at one time even some of the files were made available so members could print themselves. So, I am feeling like perhaps no one will be offended by any reprints offered by the artists.

2 hours ago, Martian Gil said:

If any were to be re-printed, I wouldn't mind hanging a couple in my shop.

Cheers, 

I got ya Kirk! Will let you know when I have a list of available designs and pricing. Considering having the tag line “Long Live Alphadrome Edition ” Or “Alphadrome Forever Edition” added to the reprints somewhere inconspicuous provided Brian doesn’t object. What do you think Kirk? Brian?

What about the poster ideas that didn’t win the poster contests? There were some good entries that lost to stiff competition. Did any of those ever go to print? Any artists who still have their files who would be interested in making prints available?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Golddalek said:

I haven't seen them myself....just as a far image on someone's wall.

They may even make great T-Shirts.🎽

I intend to contact Karl again soon to let him know that at least two or three of us are interested in picking up reprints of his past Botstock poster designs. Hopefully I will have an idea soon of cost and which of the original files he can dig up for reprint.

If I get a moment to search back through the archives here. I’ll try to post some links to the old Botstock poster contests. For now, here are links to a couple of Karl’s designs that I found with a quick google search.

https://images.app.goo.gl/zhN4CvZD2tu61WXp9

https://images.app.goo.gl/LBTgcfpFj1YHYJRc7

I have already heard from 2 or 3 others who have expressed interest in replacing a few lost posters or otherwise filling in gaps in their collections. If anyone else thinks they might like to be included, let me know.

Nothing has been set in stone as far as when or if these reprints will be available. But I have been chatting with Karl and I am hoping to have more news soon.