Getting Started In 3D printing

RoboDerby

Thanks for the info on the printers John. I’ll likely go with the Prusa myself when the time comes. I’m wondering now about gear design. Do you create the gears directly in Designspark or do you use another program and import them over. I have looked briefly at Gear Generator which seems nice as it shows animations of the gears in action. However, it also seems that the options for exporting the files aren’t compatible for import into SparkDesign. Though it looks like there are options to convert the 2D files to a DS compatible format and then continue building them in 3D from there. Any suggestions in these regards?

You don't need to import into DS. Use a gear generator then export as an stl file. You can then slice the stl file and print your gears separately. 

If you definitely want the gears in DS, you import the stl and copy the outline. there are other methods but this is quick and dirty. 

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

You don't need to import into DS. Use a gear generator then export as an stl file. You can then slice the stl file and print your gears separately. 

If you definitely want the gears in DS, you import the stl and copy the outline. there are other methods but this is quick and dirty. 

Thank you Brian. The generator I looked at didn’t seem to offer stl as an export option. I’ll investigate what else is available. Always appreciate the advice and hope you are making advances in your resin journey.