A good, old fashioned robot question...

Martian Gil

Hi dromers, 

I have a Nomura Radar Robot that I will be selling.   

It is in great working order, and I've no doubt that the robot is legit.    It is not a TTT version.  

My question is regarding the remote and wiring connect the two.
The remote is in better shape than the robot - very minty, in fact.   

The wiring is a bit more flexible and also a slightly "brighter" shade green than most of my similarly aged robots with remotes.   

**The exception to the wiring is my plastic remote / short boxed R-35 version.   That wiring is seems to be a close match.   The R-35 may never have seen mush of the light of day before I got it.

I'm fairly certain that my R-35 has not been opened.

My question - when I first got this Radar, I assumed that he was repaired and matched with a TTT remote.     From some of the wear and marking on the robot, I would think that he'd been opened before.

Fairly certain not opened by the previous owner, but before that...?

I noticed a couple weeks back on an ebay listing for a TTT Radar, that the back of the remote is marked with the 3t's logo.

I failed to notice that difference before, or if I had, it slipped my mind.

The question - does anyone have a repro TTT Radar Robot with a remote that isn't marked "ttt"?
This particular remote seems very, very well made as well - not the the ttt's are not - just little differences here and there that I note.

Any opinions regarding this particular robot?

• all original (with the robot being opened for repairs at some point)?
  • Original robot with a repro remote and wiring?

• Original Robot with a vintage remote that has been paired together?

Thanks for your thoughts with this one.   :cheers:

Here is a vid of him.    

DSC09137.JPG

DSC09138.JPG

DSC09140.JPG

Hi Martian.

The differences I see between my TTT remote and the one you show may be the slight differences here and there you mention.

1. The backing card on mine is different from yours and includes a TTT logo.

2. The button assembly on the TTT remote is held in place by two rivets that protrude past the tab where as yours appear to be flush or bent over.

3. The third, thinner wire (not part of the double wire cord) on the TTT remote is a different color than yours.

4. Mine does in fact have the TTT logo on the back. 

The one thing to consider if you really feel like yours is a repro replacement, is that the Chinese (non TTT) Drummer Robot repro uses the same style remote so you may want to see a comparison with that remote as well. 

0629190933_resized.jpg

Good thinking Don!   
I'll try and look for some pics of the repro drummers / remotes.

Thank you!

Fin, were you pulling my leg about the repro Drummers?  lol   
I spent awhile this am looking - I can find plenty of variations using a wind up motor, but no remote version other than the Nomura.

I'm not saying there wasn't, but I sure can't find it.   Sadly, that wouldn't be a first for me - if anyone can help, it's be appreciated.

Thanks!

On 6/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, Fineas J. Whoopie said:

The one thing to consider if you really feel like yours is a repro replacement, is that the Chinese (non TTT) Drummer Robot repro uses the same style remote so you may want to see a comparison with that remote as well. 

Fin, I meant to tag you in this earlier - can you recall if the robot that you are thinking of was also a drummer?

I'm not having any luck finding anything.  Thanks, 

Kirk - I could have sworn there was a B/O musical Drummer repro out there. But it looks like you are right and the old grey cells have failed me again. I did a search for drummer too and all the B/O's are vintage. My bad.

no worries :cheers:   

I appreciate you searching as well - I was thinking that maybe I was having a brain fart on the proper search word, etc... lol.

From Gilbert:

Hello,

Funny I did not see the TTT marking on the remote, but honestly TTT did not tell about and repro sellers don’t show this side of the remote, original sellers don’t too

The differences on feet are more obvious, Japan on original and flatter axles

Don’t know what metal is used on repro remote, but they don’t make the same sound if you strike them lol

Btw the chinese drummer is a wind up toy and has no remote.

gilbert

compar01.jpg

compar02.jpg

Thanks Brian, and thank you Gilbert for the help!

I understand the comment about the comment about the sound of the metal  :)  it is a well built remote.

Another difference that I note when looking at Gilbert's photos would be the riveting used on the door latch as well.

Gilbert - if you are able to share an opinion on the wiring?    I notice in your photo with the Nomura and the TTT, the difference in shading of the wire.  The Nomura appears to be more "blue shade" then the reproduction.
I've included a photo showing my Nomura wiring with a HAHA remote (the red remote) - and another with the Nomura, HAHA, and the wiring from my little Linemar Golden.
The wiring color really stands out.

At this point, I'm feeling confident that the remote is indeed vintage, but perhaps not original to this particular Radar robot - perhaps coming from another Radar, or a Drummer as brought up by Fin?      I'm happy to hear other opinions, and I appreciate the help.

Best, Kirk

20190701_105842.jpg

20190701_113332.jpg

20190701_105936.jpg