The Future

Sparkrobot

C'mon guys...we're robot collectors; is this not what we have been waiting for since we were kids?!

I agree with Tinplate6...I remember as a kid watching Lost in Space and vowing I would buy a real B9 when  grew up. I mean everybody would own a robot because we would be in that futuristic year of 1997. 

I have a love/hate relationship with robots. I like how the naive past envisioned them but now that they could become a reality...um...

7 hours ago, Andyman said:

Produced and voiced over by a robot.

Ha, The downside of Youtube.

I must admit I was very impressed with the movement they have achieved with these robot's. If they can combine them with an advanced artificial intelligence then joking apart our sci fi robot dreams don't seem that far away to me.

I wouldn't think a breakthrough in battery technology is too far away. Even if the artificial intelligence isn't brilliant, how much intelligence would it take to shoot at anything that moves? If we don't kill ourselves with overpopulation and global warming, these guys could certainly help us along with our own extinction.

Exactly. There will not be much intelligence required. Power does not depend on intelligence. Plus, suppose future robotic agents will not be totally autonomous. They are going to be connected to networks. The autonomous robot is a fairy tale object. as it is not required.

Feel like my fun in robots is limited to the naive phantasies of the past. Future still exciting, but no fun.

I am impressed with the robots, amazing what multi-million dollar military contracts accomplish.

I always admired robots in the semiconductor field, reading Robotics Age Magazines in the 80's. It kept my fascination and sanity in a crazy world.

I still have those issues as well as my old Radio Shack color computer stuff.

I'd like to see more civilian applications of technology.

Yes, this is what we've been waiting for since we were kids, but now we're old enough to know that glitches in technology can be bad (think 737MAX8?).

As the AI's get smarter and all these robots are run through networks like my smart speaker and Nest thermostat, we'll be sitting ducks when they decide to strike back.

All I can hope for is that that the battery technology doesn't progress beyond that 90 minute duty cycle, and that the robotic chivalry displayed in the video transfers to us "moist robots" too.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 8.38.23 AM.jpg

I loved how the polite robot with an arm and death claw opened and held the door for his friend.

My personal perspective is that I am interested in vintage toys with robots and space toys being the coolest theme. I have to admit I have never fantasized about owning a real robot although they are getting to an amazing level. The jet packs and flying cars that we were supposed to get in the future? That's another story. Those are the inventions I spent my time fantasizing about. I did enjoy flip phones because they were the realization of Star Trek communicators. 

I still get a kick out of seeing vintage sci fi that shows a future with bulky computer screens (Star Trek) and audio mics connected with cords (FP). They had vision on some things and not on others back in the day. The one example I can think of a sci fi film from before the internet, that seemed to predict the internet, is Logan's Run. The scene where he dials up a date for the night which is in his home in seconds predicts the internet in a roundabout way to me. But I digress from the original subject.