Radicon Futureliner Repair

RoboDerby

Welcome aboard the John Rigg Radicon Futureliner!

As it was necessary for me to open this baby up in order to diagnose and repair an issue it was having with the heads of the robots on one side of the bus not turning back and forth as they were supposed to, I decided to take a few photos of the inside of this magnificent custom robot transport so that I could share them with everyone. No doubt, many of you have seen John's original photos of the build. I thought that I would add a few more, including some cool macro shots. For those interested, I have also included some details regarding the cause of the malfunction and the repair that I made. 

I believe that one of the robot heads that has a slightly wider profile was rubbing against the acrylic window and may have contributed to the malfunction. In retrospect, I feel that there is a good chance that, unaware of this, I may have picked the bus up as it was running and inadvertently put pressure on the window, thus restricting the movement of the heads on that side of the bus. In turn, the servo continued to turn and, with the motion stopped on the other robots, the result was the fouling up and twisting of the rather delicate linkage between the servo and the rear robot. 

Though I was able to repair the linkage after plenty of attempts at reshaping to avoid it getting tangled again, this robot still rubs against the window. Due to the aluminum platforms, to which the robot heads are mounted, being glued to the inside of the bus, I am not sure that it is possible for me to remedy this without completely tearing down the Futureliner and risking considerable damage by my inexperienced hands. Nevertheless, the heads are turning again despite the slight rubbing of the stubborn offender.

In conclusion, I am happy to report that the Radicon Futureliner is repaired and fully functional! Once again, thanks to John Rigg for his input. 

3T2B8373.jpg

3T2B8437.jpg

3T2B8443.jpg

3T2B8444.jpg

3T2B8464.jpg

3T2B8473.jpg

3T2B8449.jpg

3T2B8451.jpg

3T2B8400.jpg

3T2B8455.jpg

3T2B8456.jpg

3T2B8501.jpg

3T2B8555.jpg

3T2B8391.jpg

3T2B8453.jpg

3T2B8399.jpg

3T2B8377.jpg

3T2B8431.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi RoboDerby.

I'm fixing a normal Radicon bus just acquired. Do you know what the yellow part marked fuji 250p x3 on the driving mechanism is. Looks like a capacitor with one wire at one end and two connected to the coils at the other end. It has leaked. Couldn't find a replacement online. I ttache one of your pics.

On my bus it looks alike but I can only read the visible side: Type G-01 CAPACITORand Joken or Token.

Regards, Felix

3T2B8443.thumb.jpg.e113edb49cb143552f2432920fe97eef.jpg