Robots, Donuts...and Hamburgers

RoboDerby

It was about a month ago that, seemingly out of the blue, I was compelled to start my own robot collection. Strangely, after a few weeks of seeking out my first treasures, even I was uncertain as to what led to my sudden enthusiasm for this unique hobby. Not being a particularly big fan of science fiction, toys, or anything else closely related to robots, I have to admit, I couldn't recall what possessed me to delve into collecting.

But tonight, I went to have dinner at a local restaurant in Atlanta, Georgia called Grindhouse Killer Burgers, and the answer became clear. You see, just days before I did my first search for vintage toy robots on eBay, I had gone to have dinner this very same restaurant. What do hamburgers have to do with robots, you might ask. Well, nothing really. But, I had all but forgotten the art that was hanging on the walls.

As I walked into the restaurant this evening, the answer to my mysterious new interest was right there hanging on the walls of Grindhouse, in the form of a two of Eric Joyner's wonderful paintings. It was now clear that these paintings had somehow burrowed into my subconscious during my previous visit and compelled me to track down some robots of my own.

Now, I have seen other threads here on Alphadrome discussing Joyner's art. But, I had completely forgotten having already seen his work at this restaurant. What is interesting is that these particular paintings feature not only Joyner's signature robots and donuts, but also hamburgers as well as the Grindhouse logo.

I am left wondering how these paintings came to be? Were they painted by Joyner specifically to adorn this restaurant or did someone else add the restaurant's logos and the hamburgers to some of his previous works? Well, a google search came up empty in regards to answers. So, I am left to wonder.

But, I thought that you all might enjoy knowing about this restaurant and seeing these paintings for yourselves. So here you go. I am including photos of the sign and mural that can be found outside the restaurant, though I think these might be the work of another artist entirely. If any of you ever plan to be in Atlanta, feel free to send me a message and perhaps we can meet there for lunch. Anyway, enjoy the pics everyone!

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg