Robot Christmas today!!!

RoboDerby

Especially in Canada, we don't generally have large homes and display cabinets especially antique ones are nowhere near as plentiful as we've seen when visiting the U.S. particularly in Pennsylvania at Botstock over the years. 

IMHO opinon, getting them cheap is easy if:  

You have larger folks in your family to help carry them

You have a large truck for hauling them at a short notice (particularly if the cabinet is currently out on the curb, seen many hutches there)

You have enough space for snaking them into their spot (I have a tight turn for the basement which precludes wide stuff)

Main thing is, enjoy your new hobby!  Looking forward to pics of your latest stuff.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:16 PM, Morbius said:

Fantastic RoboDerby!  Difficult to beat that bus from Oz, all three you have dealt with are fantastic folks.

Welcome to Alphadrome!!!!  We've spoken before somewhere else.:thumbs:

Great start to your addiction errr...hobby.

I most certainly agree that Oz, Roboto, and Marco have all been simply wonderful in every regard and the list of great people keeps growing, Mr. Morbius!

Here is a group photo of my collection so far, and a single shot of my newest addition the Golden Sonic, fresh today from Robothut! Thanks John!

940A503E-0965-4620-BB69-9CD8CF142E1B.jpeg

54328D2F-3BB9-4422-B4F0-09840B5AC4B3.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Roboto said:

Fantastic collection and what a great looking Sonic to go with it!!

I agree on the Sonic for sure. That golden color is magnificent and the red eyes look great set into it. This guy is a showbot through and through. No doubt my other robots are intimidated by its good looks and prowess!  

Very nice start! and it's obvious that your enthusiasm, like most of us, far exceeds your ability to find and purchase, lol! Congrats on joining the hobby. Hopefully your wife is ok with it, because it can get a little pricey. :diggin:

6 minutes ago, robert said:

Very nice start! and it's obvious that your enthusiasm, like most of us, far exceeds your ability to find and purchase, lol! Congrats on joining the hobby. Hopefully your wife is ok with it, because it can get a little pricey. :diggin:

Why thank you Robert. Though, if I had a wife, no doubt I would have run her off already with my equally expensive interest in photography. 😂 

Today I received the newest addition to my collection, a Horikawa Fighting Robot with replica box. I especially love this fella's mismatched antenna toppers. Here are a few of the results from the photo session that followed his cleanup and inspection. I hope you enjoy.

ROBODERBY-8294.jpg

ROBODERBY-8326.jpg

ROBODERBY-8330.jpg

ROBODERBY-8337.jpg

ROBODERBY-8343.jpg

ROBODERBY-8350.jpg

ROBODERBY-8365.jpg

On 4/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, RoboDerby said:

Just trying to get a good initial collection together before slowing down on my additions.

IMO, it never slows down.   No matter how hard you try.   Just when you think there's not all that much out there to buy, suddenly a chance at two dozen different Metal House falls in your lap, and you cant resist. 

Welcome, you're in the right place.  

16 minutes ago, Mick_B said:

IMO, it never slows down.   No matter how hard you try.   Just when you think there's not all that much out there to buy, suddenly a chance at two dozen different Metal House falls in your lap, and you cant resist. 

Welcome, you're in the right place.  

Lol! Don’t I know it?! Every time I manage to have the restraint not to buy a robot that I have my eye on, I reward my self control by buying a different robot. 🤦🏼‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, astrogonza said:

very nice collection, RoboDerby and thanks for sharing  !

Thanks Astrogonza.

I have a few more vintage robots on my wishlist, mostly a Directional and a Happy Harry. However, after that I am far more excited about adding robots created by other members.

I am fast becoming a super fan of John Rigg, Brian, Andybots, and Marco. It doesn’t matter to me if these customs and 3D prints aren’t the ones selling for $1000s of dollars at auction. I think it is wonderful that there are contemporary makers who continue to add more robots to the world and I feel privileged to see their creations as they are unveiled and to be among those lucky enough to have access to purchasing them.

Though it will be some time before I have developed the skills and equipment necessary to contribute my own creations, I am inspired by these individuals and I hope one day to have the honor of joining the ranks of these tremendously talented artists and designers.