Marx Prototype robots: Martian Robot

Brian..

A few years ago this fascinating piece of artwork sold at Hakes. It was a drawing for a Buck Rogers Martian Robot from the John Bowers collection of Marx prototype artwork.  If it had been built it would probably have been the first toy robot and might have changed history. So I've decided to give it a go. 

image.jpg

Image courtesy of Hake's

I should add that I'm not the first to tackle the robot: a few years ago Phil R produced a tin version, a much harder prospect than my plastic version. Fortunately I have electronic elves who work all day and night. 

That shoulder cape is the most daunting part of the project. Its shape is not particularly difficult but it will be awkward to print. How do you support that complicated curve without using tons of waste support material?  The rest of it looks fairly straightforward.

I'm not going into production, though. Mother-in law is still unwell and I must clear Manmos King back orders before I even think about it. I have to stay clear of Buck Rogers merchandising so I'm told I could only build a Martian Robot. I hope that no one would dream of adding Buck Rogers wording to the chest. :lecture:

Brian,

This looks great, and although you can't put Buck Rogers on it, I don't see why you couldn't put "Martian Robot" on the chest. Anyway, my thoughts are with you for your Mother in-law. All the best, Brian.

Another fantastic design Brian !!!  For the cape could you make a mold and then use vacuform plastic?? That might work- I think that's how John Rigg made the curved ears for the Foki robot he produced

Here's the first print. He was a little off balance and those yellow motors are unforgiving. They run so fast that any imbalance is exaggerated. A move of the centre of gravity solved the problem. The cape wasn't an issue after all. It just needed an inch or two of support. It's a very easy build but a decent paint job would be time consuming. 

From what I understand, this was a 1930s toy concept. Like the Erie Robot prototype, it just didn't make it. Pity.  It would have been one heck of a Buck Rogers piece. 

Martian.jpgimage.jpg

The other Marx prototype robot dated to 1954.  I can't see any family resemblance to the 1930s prototype, though. 

Still one of my favourite builds. It waddles across the table in the craziest way. 

marx.jpg

Brian...super robot! Say, couldn't you parse out the sections a bit more and just print them separately in color, so you wouldn't need all the paintwork? It is a trick that Marco used successfully.

Brady, for this one I have used red, blue and black. I've also ordered some rubber O Rings for the arms and legs. 

I do like the way that paint hides some of the construction lines in a 3D print, particularly when I have to print vertically, as in this case. 

I'm not taking orders yet. I'm hospital visiting much of the time - a 300 mile round trip - and am up to my neck in requests for other builds. 

Brian I love your Obscure choices for robot building.

Prototypes whether automotive or robot's are invariably interesting design's.

Another quality build.

Brilliant!

BTW Let's hope this build doesn't cause all the controversy the Erie robot did.

:biggrin::eeek:

Amazing Brian--If and when you produce them for sale-please sign me on for this one also--Hope your mother in law is doing better!!!-Rich - Do you have a video of it walking?

I have mixed feelings about this robot.

1. You did a tremendous job on producing the Buck Rogers concept exactly as it was drawn.

2. The design drawing must have been originally done in a drunken stupor. Just analyze the components of the robot. They seem to be thrown together. I only did the robot because I love Buck Rogers and the Buck Rogers strips. I'm not that objective on the subject.

3. In some ways it fits the strange mechanical devices in Buck Rogers strips. My personal opinion is that the Buck Rogers strips  from the 30s and 40s are sometimes beautiful and strange at the same time. 

4. All this being said is it better to produce it as designed or produce a concept which I think  might be more in line with the strip rockets and other mechanical devices. I personally  do not think Calkins or the other Buck Rogers strip  artists would have drawn the robot like this. Something to ponder.

Please be informed I'm writing this  at 12 midnight after 8 hours of walking at the Carlisle PA Car corral fairgrounds looking for toys and collectibles.

No-one could complain if the front said Ruck Bodgers... or Chuck Rogers... or Copyright Dodgers... just a few helpful ideas...😉

Sad to hear about the mother in law’s continuing health challenges - and the 300-mile round trip sounds like no fun at all. I hope she is better soon! Be sure to take care of yourself, too.

cheers,

Dave