Mechanical Balance walking robot

robothut

Influenced by the TOMY Bad Foot robot of the 1980's and the Cube Works CAM 8 and Cam 10 robots. I decided to build a simple version of a mechanical balance walking robot. The prototype was a tall robot that do too the movement of the tall mass and speed of the walking action might just fall over now and then. So I made a shorter version and dropped the supply voltage 3/4 of a volt to slow things down a bit more. A very nice walking biped "self balancing robot.

DSC04831.jpg

DSC04832.jpg

DSC04833.jpg

DSC04834.jpg

DSC04835.jpg

Here is the build video . It has links if you watch it on youtube for the STL files to print the parts as well.

Here is a link to a video I found on youtube of the CUBE WORKS Cam 8 and Cam 10 robots. No poit in my shooting a video if this one is already up there for the viewing.

Very clever! A crazy walking action just like like a B movie monster. I like the economy of build, that slot in the side that lets you link the arm and the leg.

The little fellow is my favourite.

I did find that the big parts in the Diamond Planet were susceptible to sharp knocks, and a couple of robots arrived in kit form courtesy of UPS. That gloop might have been a better choice. Otherwise I like the limitations of superglue, you can sometimes shear joins apart if you make a mistake.  

Attack of the zombie robots from outer space! I love the design.  One day I may end up with a 3D printer. Yours and Brian's creations are just amazing!

In that first video I could've swore I was watching a Pink Floyd flick.

Another beautiful piece, John. I like the design.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived