Robot Island Electro Man 3D Printed Robot

ratchet

Well, it's an impressive looking piece. I've known for a while that this was on the cards - a 3D printed robot with lithographed tin veneers. 3D printing has severe limitations when it comes to producing decorative panels so this sounds like a good way to add the litho. I wonder if our resident technical wizard has had a hand in its design and build? 

I have been experimented with printing on tinplate and the results can be very striking. It has to be a big improvement on those horrible paper decals so popular in the 1980s.  

I don't know if there is any shaping of the panels - that blue chest plate, for example. Is it pressed tin (unlikely) or painted plastic with added litho trim (more likely) ?  I wonder how tight is the fit of the panels and the beveled edges?  That battery cover looks very smooth. Hard to achieve without plenty of effort. 

I'd love to examine one, but the price is out of my range. You could buy an entire run of one of my pieces for $1200. :biggrin:

Marco have you ever taken a video of your original Electroman in action? Also wondering about the size of this toy.

I'm surprised at how good this is. I can tell you that there's a lot of work gone into this and if you limit the run to 10 then you also limit your return. It must take hours to assemble and there's a considerable amount of skill required. The panels presumably have to be hand cut before applying them to a 3D printed core.  That beveled body top alone looks like hard work. Is that a printed battery cover or is it a repurposed item? My robots don't need many of the craft skills that you see here.  The copy box alone would set you back $100 assuming you could source one. If you got one from a certain box expert in Canada then you could add another $100 for the comical consequences.  I digress. 

You can see the compromise on the back panel if you compare Marco's original with the copy. The flat surfaces are still difficult, but anything shaped is almost impossible. That mechanism is right up John's street, don't you think? 

I can also tell you that this is not a project that I would even dream of attempting. 

(Ratchet, I've edited that first post to remove the odd code and broken links. I think you cut and paste from Jay's site with unpredictable results.)

post-718-0-44755800-1386600584.jpgelectromanproto-version2-2_b75010d1-184a-4944-8f80-e050bb873d72_1024x1024.jpg.748b28273aeb83f7275b766db81bfbc8.jpg

Brian, agreed...the "tin foil" look of the repro, although an advancement in 3D printing, just can't compare to the original pressings, but, that's to be expected.

That side by side comparison and the quality of the pics doesn't do the repro any favors. The box looks great though!

• Brian.. changed the title to Robot Island Electro Man 3D Printed Robot

Archived