Manmos King Robot

Brian..

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really great fun to build. I finally adjusted the arms so that they can easily  be removed to allow access to the motor. The motor is also easy to replace. The printer's tolerances are so good that there's no need for any major surgery. I will post instructions on the site. If you make a pig's ear of a part I'll replace it for postage costs. You'll need thick (high viscosity) superglue, a small screwdriver and a soldering iron. The soldering is very easy. I will include spare parts for some of the fiddly bits. 

It's my first venture into the self-assembly territory so this pricing is a bit of  an experiment:

All prices include postage worldwide:

Unassembled kit: $90

Fully assembled,  unpainted: $130

Fully assembled and painted: $150 - black or dark blue. 

For my own peace of mind I will pre-assemble a little gear component in the head, unless you tell me to leave it alone!. The $60 saving should tempt some of you to give it a go. 

Please sign me up-unassemblrd in dark blue if possible--Thanks Brian-Please let me know when to paypal you!!! Very excited about this:thumbs:

Rich, in its unpainted state the robot is in silver grey plastic. I use this because it has the best properties when printing. I don't have a reliable dark blue filament. Is this OK?

I just painted one of the kits in a rich metallic cobalt blue - it looks great. I'll finish assembly and post a picture.

I've also been asked for a slight variation of the head - to bring it more into line with that angry looking Manmos on the box. If I can manage it I'll offer it as an alternative head. Two heads are better than one. 

Sounds great. Sign me up for one unassembled please! Just let me know when you are ready for payment.

2 hours ago, Brian.. said:

Rich, in its unpainted state the robot is in silver grey plastic. I use this because it has the best properties when printing. I don't have a reliable dark blue filament. Is this OK?

I just painted one of the kits in a rich metallic cobalt blue - it looks great. I'll finish assembly and post a picture.

I've also been asked for a slight variation of the head - to bring it more into line with that angry looking Manmos on the box. If I can manage it I'll offer it as an alternative head. Two heads are better than one. 

That's actually better Brian! Thanks-that way I can just paint it a color I have in mind-If you do a variant head I will buy one of those too !!!  Thanks very much and have a good weekend ! Rich

An unassembled kit would be great Brian.

But!

Can you track and have the parcel signed for as i am having problems at the moment with delivery carry on's.

I am happy to pay more for this type of delivery.

If this is all in the too hard basket i understand.

I send them all tracked, Maloo.  I'm just doing some final touches to the design to iron out a couple of issues. I may have to pre-wire some parts for my peace of mind!

I was asked for something slightly closer to the menacing artwork of the box, rather than the Flash face of the regular build. I've altered the head, arms and the antenna.  A fully rounded version will have to wait until I can manage rounded shapes!!

IMG_4302.JPGpost-25-1217539356.jpg

Here's the kit version.  I'll try to make a look-alike box based on the one decent scan I have of the cover art work. I'm having real problems with those yellow motors. My last batch got returned to China and I've had an unusually high failure rate. They're not as robust as my usual motor. 

Notice those thin (1mm) body veneers. You can have the efficiency of printing vertically with the fine detail of a flat print. The joins aren't obtrusive. 

IMG_4303.JPG

Yes all the yellow gear motor look the same from the outside but are not inside. I pay extra to buy from sellers in my country so that returning them is fast and easyer.  Also it seems like the sellers "in my case in the USA" have the good motors compared to the who knows ones from china. Since they all come from China I can only think the sellers have learned who to buy from so they do not have a lot of returns or negative feed back. Who knows. Its not a lot of money either way and we are lucky to have such a large selection of battery gearmotors to pick from these days. Great job on the bot Brian. A real classic.

Archived