Manmos King Robot

Brian..

I stuck with the yellow motor and with a Heath Robinson pulley system I got the antenna turning. He's a fast walker with arms that swing like one of those marathon walkers. Easily the most difficult thing I've managed so far, and the most rewarding. Simple for the likes of John but not for me. I also had my first ever motor failure: a slight jam on the mechanism dislodged one of the motor's internal gears. For that reason I've tried to make the robot easy to dismantle for future tinkering. 

Mamnos itself was straightforward but there wasn't much room for belts and pulleys. I just need to wire up the flickering red LED in the head. Having an original robot next to me made the measurements simple, though the insides bear no relation to my design. The chest lettering is embossed so it's a breeze to paint. 

A most rewarding project, though it will be a slightly fiddly kit. I made a couple of silly mistakes assembling it, and I made the thing!

I'm going to finish and post the Suitcase Robots off before I do another thing with this.  No promises yet on the kit version of this. I need to see how easy it is to assemble. (Click on the photos to see a clearer version)  I'll post a video once I get the light wired up. 

IMG_4288.JPG

IMG_4290.JPG

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian-That is phenomenal !!!!!! Absolutely fantastic:thumbs: Congratulations-Looking forward to the video when you get him wired and please put me on the list if you are going to produce them for sale---PHENOMENAL !!!!!!!!!  The color is perfect too and looks great with the chrome accents--I love the Manmos King lettering on the chest too--Heck-I love everything about this robot:cheers:

A great looking Manmos Brian!

Maybe the kit's will work out better if they are more fiddly and a challenge.

If you decide to produce any kits and the demand is not too high can you please send one down under.

• Brian.. changed the title to Manmos King Robot

Here he is on the launch pad, running away from his Hong Kong relative. It took me ages to get that arthritic squeak just right. :biggrin: 

You'll have to take my word for it that the eyes light - the light level drowns them out.

I'll post a picture of the "kit" components later. When you start to describe how to assemble the parts it suddenly sounds complicated. In truth it's fairly straightforward. Sadly not too fiddly, Maloo. 

I've reached the point where it's possible to disassemble most of the robot to facilitate repairs. It would be quite unreasonable to expect anyone to glue the whole structure together and then discover that the belt, for example, had slipped off the pulley. Midori clearly didn't worry about such things: if you made a balls up building it, tough. 

I tried a new technique for the body. I printed it vertically in one shot then added two veneers to the front, 1 mm thin plates with all the chest details on them.  The result was better than I anticipated so I'll run with it. 

I worry only about soldering. How many of you can solder? I could look for slip on connectors, but the switch is tiny and the LED needs some form of permanent wiring. It's a 2 minute job to solder everything if you've done it before. What do you guys think? 

Beautiful work, Brian, as is to be expected, but I do have a question...how difficult would it be to make a Manmos King that resembled the box artwork, instead of the model? A black, barrel-chested robot with the scowling face and tubular nose? I always felt that the artwork had more personality. For a real challenge; you could make the little red levers below the chest move up and down while it walked. :pigsfly:

mmk2.jpgmmk.jpg

mm.jpg

Oh man! I was pretty much able to resist this one (trying to limit myself to the Hayes vintage movie robots),

but that video makes it oh so tempting.

Nice job!

I might have to ask the Mrs where the soldering iron has gotten to.

2 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

how difficult would it be to make a Manmos King that resembled the box artwor

Very difficult. Don't get me started! The result would, however, be original and impressive. The box art on these kits is always better than the contents.

Archived