Manmos King Robot

Brian..

I don't want to hijack the Japanese kit thread so I'm starting a separate thread here. Rich (Robodude) whetted my appetite for a Manmos clone and since I had a HK Star version I was able to put it next to me and get out the digital calipers.  If anyone has a scan of the original Manmos instructions I would appreciate a peek. Most of the design is clear but the head innards are vague. 

I much prefer designing these things to building multiples! I switched back to Designspark because it's just so darn good.  Build without frills, then add the fancy bits once it's working. The luxury of four printers makes progress rapid.  I decided to base it on a faster motor to speed up the walking action. My old strong motors are getting very hard to source.  I've already had the headless body whizzing across the table - a world record for a Hayes bot. 

The lighting action and spinning antenna are difficult to copy because of the limitations of the motor. I'll do what I can. I may have to cheat with LEDs. I've also ordered some rubber belts based on the Mechanised Robot principal - you see where I'm going. 

If it works out I could offer this as a kit. That would save me the hassle of building and painting, and would be in keeping with the original. It would also be cheaper. The paint is definitely affecting me and I need to cut down exposure.  I could make some for those of you who don't like to build.

Here are some screen shots. Two heads? It's my way of making changes without risking the original. 

Unfortunately progress will have to halt for a little while. My wife's mother has had a nasty fall and I'm off to hospital to see her. At 96 it's serious. 

manmos1.jpg

manmos2.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Brian! That was fast and it looks amazing -Very impressive! I was thinking about the eyes too and then I thought of the blinking eye circuit that you used in your Roboter 700 and how they blink back and forth—something like that would look good too and probably be much easier to do. Tamiya makes a gearbox that has a drive for the arms and legs and also a drive that is at a 90 degree angle that could run the antenna. I will see if I can email you a picture of the gearbox -MANMOS KING LIVES!!  Very exciting——-    I hope your mother in law does well-sending my prayers for her.  Rich

Would it be possible to have raised block letters that spelled out Manmos King on the chest?  That might be easier than trying to spell it out with decals. Just an idea :biggrin:

Yes Robodude. Same gearbox I used in many of my projects going back to the firat metal Alphadrome robot kit. Its metal framed and has the geared output and can have a center faster output drive as well .

As for text one of the easiest free programs for adding Text to any surface angle I have found is in the 3D builder program that comes with windows 10. I have used it on many of my projects, marching Man robot was the last one to use it.

I too like the look of this project Brian. Can not wait to see how it all fleshes out.

post-7-1249052203.jpg

Oh and Brain , glad too see you back with Design Spark Mechanical, what a great free CAD program it has been . And 4 printers is nice, but having a wife that lets you have 4 printers in the house is even nicer.

You should print out my Prusa MK3 snap in fames for your printers, really makes them portable with all odds and ends. Thing-I-verse link.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3297867

So far I can only get two at a time in the house, even with the never ending whiter still here "below freezing and 4 more inches of snow on the way".

2 hours ago, robothut said:

Yes Robodude. Same gearbox I used in many of my projects going back to the firat metal Alphadrome robot kit. Its metal framed and has the geared output and can have a center faster output drive as well .

As for text one of the easiest free programs for adding Text to any surface angle I have found is in the 3D builder program that comes with windows 10. I have used it on many of my projects, marching Man robot was the last one to use it.

I too like the look of this project Brian. Can not wait to see how it all fleshes out.

post-7-1249052203.jpg

I was thinking of your Marching man robot when I wrote that about the name on the chest John--It really turned out great

Grandma's recovering, though she looks like she's been through a couple of rounds with Mohammed Ali. Hopefully she'll be on the mend in a day or two:

Thanks for the tips, gents. Robodude, I use that motor in the Diamond Planet. I have a few on order. It costs about $12 shipped from China, compared with $1 for the regular motor. It does have a neat alignment though.

I've seen your tray boxes, John. Great idea, though I don't move my machines at all. I can't say my wife is happy with them. 

While in the hospital waiting room I've been looking at this site:

https://getlink.pro/results/search-query/今井科学 V3号ロボット

It has a few interesting ideas: Captain Patrol, GR-2 etc. The kits look so small when they come out of the box, and I'm sure 3D printing could give them much more impact. 

One thing about the dual drive plastic gear boxes like I like to use on the projects that I post to Thing-I-verse since they are easy to get hold of. they do come in different gear ratio's. I just bought 6 as a test and they run about 1/2 the speed on the standard gear box. So no reduction gears needed for a simple walking robot design. But they do cost about $3 to $4 bucks each so more than the standard units. They all look the same to the eye, but if you take them a part you can see where the gears have been changed inside for the slower but more powerful rotation speed.

DSC04295.jpg

I didn't know about the speed variation of those yellow motors, John. Very useful to have a low speed option. Grandma's stable, so back to business. Excellent. 

Good News!  Brian-do you have any video for the prototype Manmos you printed? It would be great to see that in action:thumbs:

Yes I was not sure if you had worked with the ones that are geared down more or not. I am just finishing up a new walking bi ped robot that uses one. The robot works like the CAM 8 and CAM 10 robots in that it self balances and is all 3d printed and mechanical in nature. It took its first steps today. Now to tweak the files for easy building and looks.

The 2 main version I see are 1:120 that gives you 45 RPM at 3 volts and 1:48 thast gives you 90 RPM at 3 volts  "no load". But you do not always get what you order since they all look the same  from the out side. Yes some have white motor end caps and some have black motor end caps but that does not tell you the gear ratio as I have both in the fast 90 RPM version.

Archived