Build the 3d printed Marching Robot Man, a new walking design.

robothut

I wanted to do a stripped down version of a walking design that has been used the last 10 years or so. Like in the M.A.R.S. type bots and many others. The idea is the feet have a free turning roller in the Heels and a gripping material in the toe. When the robot walks one foot stays flat with both gripping toe and heel on the ground. The other foot will be angled so the heel roller is on the ground and the toe is in the air, once the foot has moved forward the toe contacts the ground with the heel and the other foot tips to the heel roller position. Now the M.A.R.S. robots and other have lots of linkage and about 6 joints to do this well. I wanted to do a stripped down version when the leg and foot are  1 part in that they move to gether. A single cam moves the leg. Same roller in the foot heel and I use rubber gromets in the toe for traction. This simple version gives you a military type Goose step march. Kicking the feet up like the Rockets ladies and taking a small step forward. All the files can be found on my Thing-I-verse channel.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3448654

A build video is on youtube. The start of the video shows the white bot working and the end of the video shows the Blue and gold one "that I build in real time" walking.

So if you watched the video you know the robot runs on 2 AA batteries, battery door latch opens a door so the battery holder can slide inside. The robot has a lit red piston in the head that moves up and down and a rhythmic clicker to go  with the marching action.

DSC04779.jpg

DSC04780.jpg

DSC04781.jpg

DSC04783.jpg

DSC04785.jpg

DSC04787.jpg

1 hour ago, robothut said:

in case any of you "Brian" might want to use the walking mechanics

This is an ingenious design, John. You've managed to simplify that walking mechanism by removing the rear strut. It's the one part of a leg that can be a total pain in the ass - especially if you're using a leg with such a pronounced bend in it as this. You avoid that stiff legged robotic stroll. I see that you've had to sacrifice the parallel foot movement but have gained that comical goose step with its clever ratchet wheel replacement.

I know that Horikawa managed to remove the rear strut by making the leg itself act as the strut. That's something 'd like to look at. 

That head action is a treat, and so simple. 

I tend to get stuck with my predictable walking mechanisms. In fact I start most new projects by taking the body of something like the Dynamo Robot and then building the new design around the walking mechanism. It saves me hours of time.  It does the job and I get confused if I try to completely redesign everything. You seem to relish the challenge.

Great Youtube channel!  

• 2 weeks later...

way coOL....The silver body and red boots are neat...I may indeed 'borrow' some of those motorized gear sections to use in my own robot toy I'm trying to develop.

Thanks for sharing all these details.🐇 It's been great joining this website, never know what people will post next.👀☝

Archived