Suitcase Robot

Brian..

Presenting the first mass produced British battery operated robot: (drum roll)

The Suitcase Robot

Well, two of them at the moment - the prototype and this first finished one.  The chest plate needs a little more work. (I really must do some gardening.)

What a treat to make. It's 10 inches (25cm) tall. As usual the feet were a bugger because they're so small. But apart from that I made sure that everything was made as efficient as possible to make assembly easy. I could have printed the body, motor mount and battery case as one unit, but the quality of the finish is compromised. 3D printers let you print entire structures in one go that but there's a down side.  So I made it like a kit, with five flat panels for the body and a separate motor mount that incorporates the batter holder and the switch. The improvement in the finish is well worth the extra time it takes to assemble. Those holes in the body are for rods that let me line up the five main parts. 

I improved the arm moving mechanism by using metal rods. I was able to extend one of the rods so that it can also move the head. A first for me. Such a simple solution and I kick myself for not thinking of it before. (Patent Pending). 

Here's the little lead figure that it's based on. It turns up regularly over here. 

DSC06137.JPG.60ceadeb95e097c79d85336695b576c1.JPG

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• Ranger

• Martian Gil

• ROBODUDE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a wonderful piece, Brain. It's really cool to watch your evolution as a 3D designer and printer. You went from very good to very better in a very short period of time.

Andy, it's just like having a team of elves in the house. You go to bed and in the morning there are robot parts all over the place. What would you give to have a gang of pixies scour the area for old equipment to make your wonderful creations? 

elvis.jpg

Yes, chaps, purple, green and blue are all valid original paint finishes on the Suitcase Robot. I'm not sure about silver - is that a black and white photo or possibly a stripped original?  I just need to source some good metallic paint. 

suitcase variations.jpg

Severely good looking !!! Thumbs up !!! I believe the size takes out the need of à metallic finish, it just looks fine like that.

I assume  & hope his goldish comrade brother will follow , it will  be good to see that poor guy able to let his arms down & relax for the first time ever.