Pyrotomic Disintegrator Ray Gun - The "Attic Find"

Pyrotomic1

• Pyrotomic1...I have one of each, and the actual Pyrotomic rifle is quite rare, far more so than the pistol, although, in my opinion, the pistol is a much nicer design.

E21B75E8-F07D-4335-83B3-2A63141B6062.jpeg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pyrotomic1

• Tinplate6

• Fineas J. Whoopie

• Andyman

1 hour ago, Tinplate6 said:
  • Pyrotomic1...I have one of each, and the actual Pyrotomic rifle is quite rare, far more so than the pistol, although, in my opinion, the pistol is a much nicer design.

Gorgeous display, Tin!

As most people are right handed, I'm surprised that the rifle was designed with the crank on the right side. From the standpoint of long gun functionality (or should I say FINctionality in this case) it would strike me that the most common (nd most stable) firing position would be cradling and stabilizing the stock against the inside of the right forearm to aim, holding the handle with the right hand on the right side of the body, left foot forward (much like one would fire a shotgun, sidearm stance) and turning the crank with the left hand.

I've read that Schaible served in the military so I would love to read his design notes on this piece, if any and if archived.  

At any rate, I'm as new as they come to this but I'd sure love to put a red/yellow/blue pistol alongside my copper/silver one! Where do I find one of those for sale? :diggin:   

And did Pyro make a little .25 caliber automatic or derringer sized ray gun? So I can file off the serial numbers and use it as a drop ray gun in case I mistakenly disintegrate some alien first and ask questions later I can place that in his tentacle to cover my tracks? :biggrin:

We have all kinds of visitors here, Pyro, so I would avoid any nefarious discussions. I'm not saying the Intergalactic Space Patrol monitors these post but you never know.

23 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

What a Classic pair and the rifle bronze version is outstanding!!

43 minutes ago, Roboto said:

What a Classic pair and the rifle bronze version is outstanding!!

The rifle is outstanding. I have to get one of those.... and a red/yellow/blue pistol.... and then a red/blue/yellow pistol .... and then a...

Ironically, I was looking at the Hiller Atomic blaster on Hakes auction archives last night. As a kid, I wasn't into space guns. I preferred to play with more standard toy military and western/cowboy weaponry. But when about 10 years of age, never having seen the Hiller piece, and before the days of the modern, plastic pump action super-soakers, I tried to build a "gun" that would pump like the modern day super-soaker, out of metal hardware; pipes, fittings, canteens, and garden-hose, hose-gun related materials. My father had a well-equipped workshop in the basement, any type of hardware and tools from a wide spectrum of uses and applications, and watching him and helping him build over the years, I was pretty good at piecing things together.

I fashioned a slightly longer version of what looks like the Hiller atomic gun!  A canteen filled with water could be screwed onto a T-valve aperture or that closed and a garden hose aperture could be opened to an attached garden hose, bypassing the canteen and the pump action!

At any rate, I never did see the Hiller gun close up or hold one, but based on the pics, it looks to me like a modern pump-action super-soaker. Is that correct or does it work a different way, or not at all? Curious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2018 at 3:12 AM, Pyrotomic1 said:

Found it in a large, corrugated box of assorted toys in the attic that was string tied since the 50s. There's lots more in there but this struck me as very valuable and a quick internet check revealed a 2015 ebay auction for a broken Disintegrator that sold for $666.

This is exactly the way the gun came out of the box, it wasn't even dusty and works perfectly, that gray piece sliding back and forth with each pull and accompanying click of the trigger. Nothing loose, no splits, cracks, scratches, or fissures. The finish is shiny and bright, and there was nothing to clean, it looks to me like it was manufactured this week; brand new.

No original box, I did see a picture of the box online, and it may be in another box, there's lots of boxes of toys, trucks, guns, Lionels, sports and non-sports cards, all appear to be centered ca. 1952 to 1955.

I can't find any recent evaluations for a working gun like this, in at least NM condition. Feedback would be appreciated.  

121818_Pyro1.JPG

121818_Pyro2.JPG

121818_Pyro3.JPG

121818_Pyro4.JPG

Wow!! a real treasure!

Pyrotomic1, here is a closeup of my Hiller Atomic Raygun...now, mine is not mint by any means, but it will do. As far as I can see, aside from the metal pushrod and trigger assembly, I assume it works just like a standard plastic water pistol.

859AE024-199D-4D9E-9AD1-64145324FE9B.jpeg

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, Tinplate6 said:

Pyrotomic1, here is a closeup of my Hiller Atomic Raygun...now, mine is not mint by any means, but it will do. As far as I can see, aside from the metal pushrod and trigger assembly, I assume it works just like a standard plastic water pistol.

Comparing your copper and silver ray gun to mine, using enlargements, the production markings appear to be identical, indicating to me that they very well may be from the same production run.  Do you know if the copper and silver pistol was put into production only once, at one time, or if it was manufactured multiple times across a period of time?

Honestly, I’m a collector, not a historian... but I’ll bet that one of the Alphadromers out there does have an answer for you.

DocAtomic or Big Bang might know more on that subject.

19 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

Honestly, I’m a collector, not a historian... but I’ll bet that one of the Alphadromers out there does have an answer for you.

DocAtomic or Big Bang might know more on that subject.

Hopefully, they'll weigh in here.

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, Pyrotomic1 said:

The rifle is outstanding. I have to get one of those.... and a red/yellow/blue pistol.... and then a red/blue/yellow pistol .... and then a...

OK. Since I last posted, I picked up an original, fully cranking/fully reciprocating rifle.

So now I need a red/yellow/blue pistol.... and then a red/blue/yellow pistol .... and then a .............. 

020519_P2.JPG

020519_P1.JPG

8 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

Pyrotomic1...don’t bother, you’ve got the best already! Congratulations!

Thank you, Tin, but it's too late to stop. As suspected, I'm now one of you guys, a fellow space cadet and a new recruit. Now when I look at pics of the red set, they're calling to me!

Though I had seen the pics of your beautiful rifle, only when mine arrived and I actually held it did I realize how closely it resembles a Soviet TKB-011 Kobolov designed assault rifle, from the late 50s, put into general production around 1963! I had the opportunity to hold and fire one of those at the range a few decades ago and the similarities in design are starting, considering that no other rifles existed with that one piece curved stock (bullpup style) prior to the pyrotomic rifle and the Soviet assault rifle, which was touted as "a futuristic, space age design", designed only short years after the toy was first produced. Seems to me to be more than just mere coincidence!

korobov-assault-rifles-1.jpg

Wow! That's a heck of a comparison. But, if the curved clip was removed from the Russian rifle, then yes, there would be a very close resemblance.

• 4 months later...

Has a copper/silver piece ever been found in the original factory box?  A box depicting not the red one, but the copper/silver version?  Or is the red version the only one depicted on all the known original boxes thus far?

If there have been no boxes found depicting the copper/silver version, is it possible that the copper/silver piece was issued without one?