Pyrotomic Disintegrator Ray Gun - The "Attic Find"

Pyrotomic1

Found it in a large, corrugated box of assorted toys in the attic that was string tied since the 50s. There's lots more in there but this struck me as very valuable and a quick internet check revealed a 2015 ebay auction for a broken Disintegrator that sold for $666.

This is exactly the way the gun came out of the box, it wasn't even dusty and works perfectly, that gray piece sliding back and forth with each pull and accompanying click of the trigger. Nothing loose, no splits, cracks, scratches, or fissures. The finish is shiny and bright, and there was nothing to clean, it looks to me like it was manufactured this week; brand new.

No original box, I did see a picture of the box online, and it may be in another box, there's lots of boxes of toys, trucks, guns, Lionels, sports and non-sports cards, all appear to be centered ca. 1952 to 1955.

I can't find any recent evaluations for a working gun like this, in at least NM condition. Feedback would be appreciated.  

121818_Pyro1.JPG

121818_Pyro2.JPG

121818_Pyro3.JPG

121818_Pyro4.JPG

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pyrotomic1

• Tinplate6

• Fineas J. Whoopie

• Andyman

1952 to 55 would be the right time frame for this toy. I wouldn't sell until I knew for sure if there was a box. I'm sure you will get some PM offers here. Congrats on a dream find!

14 hours ago, kennetzel said:

Wow...what a find.

Guys, are these out there in collector's/dealer's hands? Or is a piece like this in this condition something you can count on one hand as existing in the hobby? Before I decide whether to hold or sell, I'd like to get a general idea of what type of population of this piece exists in this hobby in this condition. Any input is helpful as I can only find limited data on this online.

Perhaps I should explain that I am a collector. Many different arenas. Just never collected toys for some reason, so although I have a good deal of expertise in certain collectible areas, my knowledge of a piece like this couldn't fill a thimble, yet.

So the monetary aspect, although important, is secondary.

14 hours ago, kennetzel said:

Wow...what a find.

Ironically, it's not really a find! I wasn't looking for it. It was there all along. I thought it was 100+ years of dishes, knick-knacks, clothes, etc. in 100+ boxes. I only recently started to open them, to clear it out pre-renovation! It's all things that have been in the family for many generations, and some of it is junk. But as I unpack them, a lot of it turns out to be far from junk!

Every collector fantasizes about finding that undiscovered attic box with mint jewels from our pasts. Unfortunately, I did not take care of my toys very well after I got bored with them as a kid and Mom didn't secretly pack them up for posterity. More likely they went to Goodwill.

Pyrotomic1...welcome to Alphadrome. Yes, that is an amazing find, noted as one of the most beautiful guns ever made. Rare? Well, yes; not simply for the type of gun, they are out there and appear on the market periodically, but because yours in in that minty fresh condition. The bronze version is in my opinion, the most desirable color. The issue with these is that many survive with common damage to the "cleaning rod", which is often broken off, or one of the fins on the barrel is chipped or broken. 

A real beauty!

2 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

Pyrotomic1...welcome to Alphadrome. Yes, that is an amazing find, noted as one of the most beautiful guns ever made. Rare? Well, yes; not simply for the type of gun, they are out there and appear on the market periodically, but because yours in in that minty fresh condition. The bronze version is in my opinion, the most desirable color. The issue with these is that many survive with common damage to the "cleaning rod", which is often broken off, or one of the fins on the barrel is chipped or broken. 

A real beauty!

Thank you, Tin. I just read the 4 page thread on the gun started in 2011. A fascinating read. I think you space cadets have a new recruit among you; I love this stuff!!!

9 hours ago, Andyman said:

Every collector fantasizes about finding that undiscovered attic box with mint jewels from our pasts. Unfortunately, I did not take care of my toys very well after I got bored with them as a kid and Mom didn't secretly pack them up for posterity. More likely they went to Goodwill.

How do you set it on "stun"? I don't want to disintegrate anyone by accident! Did Pyro make a RE-integrator gun, just in case that happens? :biggrin:

4 hours ago, Roboto said:

What a great find and the bronze finish really stands out!

And I didn't even dust it off! There was no need to, it emerged spotless. The way you see it is as gently removed from the full box of toys, baseball and non-sports cards. Has to be a $100,000+ box based on the cards alone that were in there, not counting the toys! From the look of the outside of the box, a layer of dust and soot on it, nobody would ever believe that the contents were pristine, as boxed in 1955 (the most recent cards in there) and placed in the same spot it sat in the attic, undisturbed, since then! Next to it, a box of Lionel locomotives and cars. I'll take some pictures of the attic and the box, an interesting part of the story documenting this particular gun.

16 hours ago, tinluver2 said:

Just disintergrate us; no need to make us suffer:)  CONGRATS!!

Now where do I look to find the matching Pyrotomic rifle (original, same copper and silver color)? I saw the Portuguese, multi-colored ones on ebay, and I assume those aren't originals. Do the original rifles in copper and silver show up in the marketplace from time to time?