Dynamo Robot

Brian..

The X-9 Robot is that classic design that drives a rather ridiculous bingo cart.  Henk Gosses, John Rigg and Ozzie have all produced walking versions as the Dynamo Robot. 

It's a lovely shape robot and thought I'd have a go at it.  (Click on the images to see them at their best.)

Here's the original:

x9.jpgbingo2.jpg

First I went for a fairly accurate version with the obvious faults - it has extremely long arms and it has a vacant area at the bottom of the chest. I wondered how to tackle the litho oxygen tanks on the back, then realised that they could just as easily be a real feature. Bringing the litho to life seems a logical approach and adds a new dimension to the result. 

IMG_4207.JPGIMG_4208.JPG

IMG_4210.JPG

The second attempt took the litho rendering one stage further with a recessed window about an inch deep holding the dynamo generators. I also shortened the arms.

IMG_4211.JPG

The two together. Work still to be done on the heads. 

IMG_4212.JPG

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• roboz

• MetalRobotHead

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those are great! I made a center piece with something like you've got there in a robot - long ago - the pistons pumped as the dial zipped around in the middle. The lights in the center lit as the dial turned and the lights on the edge blinked down in sequence (I think)

David Kirk Robots.jpg

How thick are the walls in these things? Could you build slots right into the model and fit metal parts with tabs from other toys?

Brian-In the second version with the recessed Dynamos--If you could back light the dynamos with a pulsing red or green LED--that would look really cool-like the dynamos were discharging  energy--Just an idea--Love this latest design!!!:thumbs:

Robodude, we think alike. Look really closely on the one above and you'll see there are coiled wires leading to an led. 

I've just completed this version with lighted balls on top of those cylinders. I've had to use the tiniest leds that you've ever seen. Small flashing red and green leds are on their way.  

led.jpg

This was the original litho that prompted the design: (a spark - now there's a thought. )

dynamo.jpg

A real stunner there, Brian...yes, it really needs that yellow bolt between the pylons, and don't forget the curled wires.