The Last Starfighter

Tinman

Well, maybe not a "vintage spaceman" but I've always liked the premise of the film and hoped they'd do a remake with a more serious tone.  Looking for info on the web I found there IS interest in the project, even by Steven Spielberg, but the person(s) holding the rights isn't interested.  Crazy right...no interest in a Steven Spielberg remake?!  There doesn't seem to be a lot of collectibles connected to the movie but I recently picked up these 1983-84 promotional pinbacks, which can be difficult to find in good condition.

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada...

$34 (Jan 2018).JPG

Thanks Roboto.  The movie is a bit dated and doesn't hold up to today's CGI but for its time was pretty cool.  I recently watched a convention video on YouTube that had some of the cast and production people; they talked about the prospects of a sequel or re-vamp of the franchise and I'm hoping they take the later path, I don't particularly want to see the son of Alex Rogan as the new Starfighter.

• 11 months later...

I agree, I am not a fan of re-makes....although I like sequels, like the 2010: A Space Odessy.

I loved 'The Last Starfighter', perhaps a little cheesy, but cheese can be good..A great story with great veteran actors.

TLS is a very fun movie!  I'm sure a remake would have to be all dark and gritty, though :wacko:

I used to produce a Gunstar resin kit myself back in the early 2000s

Gunstar.jpg

Actually, this was the first film to use the premise of a video game as a training device for interstellar combat. There were several films since then that capitalized on this theme. 

Archived