Alps tv spaceman eye repair help requested

Nemo

Hi, Is there anyone who might have had to repair/replace the eye(s) on the Alps TV Spaceman? The left 'drive' eye on my robot has a problem in that the sprocket that sits behind the eye itself (the sprocket that meshes with the right eye) is loose and is not fixed firmly in place. This means that the eye rotations can be a bit intermittent. Has anyone any info as to how the eye can be removed to get to the sprocket? I am hoping that unless there is an obvious fixing behind the sprocket, I can solder it in place on the spindle. Any assistance gratefully received. Thanks for reading.

The front eyes are pressed on the shaft, spacer then the frame, spacer then the gear unit, spacer then the back of the head. then the shaft is crimped. The shaft is held loosely on to the eye gear buy a crimp thy flat spot on the shaft. Due to the way the part is assemble you will not find it easy to take apart. It would be easyer to just work a little "thick cyanoacrylate" supper glue in to the arera where the gear contacts the shaft. Use speed set  to set the supper glue, also called  insta-set and afew other names all hobbie stores have the thick supper glue and speed set sprays. You will not find anything to solder too as the little spacer are free to rotate on the shaft as well. If you want to take it apart then grind off the crimp on the back side of the head where the shaft comes threw then you can get right to the gear on the shaft and solder or what ever you like. The gears do have a slop built in, about a 1/4 turn worth on how they connect with the shaft.

DSC03180.jpg

DSC03179.jpg

Thanks very much. Brilliant response and very informative. I had thought about superglue as an option but was worried about applying it without gymming up everything. I will look into it again as I would like to avoid too much overall damage. Thanks once again for your advice. 

Archived