Batteries -replacements for 2 C cell ???

ROBODUDE

Hello !  I was hoping to tap into Alphadromes  technical brain bank !! To make a long story short I have an Imai gigantor model kit that I need to find an alternate power source for....It runs normally off of 2 C cell batteries but the feet on this model are messed up(the batteries usually go into the feet) So I need to find an alternate for those 2 batteries in the feet--I tried a 2032 coin cell battery--nothing happened---I tried 2 2032 coin cell batteries together and the motor moved a little and then nothing I figured since the 2032 coin cells are rated at 3 volts they would work, but no dice !!! I need to mount the power source outside the innards of the robot--the lights work, the motor turns and everything looks like it would work if I could just power it up !!! I have 2 wires going to the motor and lights and when I jump it with 2 C batteries everything works fine !! The externall power source is going to have to be small as I have to mount it outside the robot ----Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated--Thanks very much in advance for anyones input---Rich

An update to my earlier question--Unfortunately I was trying to solder a wire on the robot and it fell off of my bench and shattered into pieces---OMG !!!! I am hesitant to share this I was soldering and I accidently bumped it and it fell--I had noticed that the plastic seemed very brittle--It was broken so badly that it couldn't be fixed---the legs were in shards as they had all the weight from the old batteries in them--THIS SUCKS !!!!  Well, I am going to sign off for now--Thanks anyways RICH:blub:

Ugh!  Hate to hear stories like that, reminds me of my first vintage Roto Robot I bought in the '70s at Goodwill in minty shape for 25c...dropped the bag as I left the store which smashed his legs all to hell. I rebuilt him and learned somewhat how he worked, gave up and trashed him soon after.  Got me collecting though.

Happens to all of us, I feel for you on this one.:oops:

Ah hell, Rich!

I had a moment of silence for the kit lost... 

Franken-Gigantor?  

Seriously - my condolences.

I'm curious to know what the first  problem with the feet was - did this kit come with the contacts that you lock in, then glue plastic tabs over?

Yes Kirk, It had those tabs--I used crazy glue to glue them down to the plastic and then glued the cap over that (after I had soldered the wire)  It would not make contact--I messed with it a bunch of times and couldn't get it to work--If you jumped the motor from an external source it worked fine--I am sorry to say that I think this was a kit from the 60's as the plastic was super brittle--I feel terrible about this !!! Let me know if you want the box and instructions--Its pretty cool too !!!  No charge as I would like to have something good come out of this mess--Hope you are doing well--Rich

I wouldn't sweat too hard - those tabs might be exclusive to some of the re-issues.    Two different re-issues of Imai Big X V 3's (that I built) used the same parts.  Maybe, but maybe not?

If you have a pic of the box, someone might know the age of the kit? 

Well, that sucks big-time! If impossible to use the legs as the power source, I guess an external supply would be the only option, not that it matters anymore. The coin batteries would never work, even though rated at the correct voltage. There are different reasons and terminology in play but basically, the cell is too small. Even if you put a pocketfull together, the demand of that robot would suck the energy right out of those undersized batteries instantly. Sorry for your loss!

I am not sure how to post pictures to Alphadrome so I emailed them to you 'cuz I know that works !!

Ha!   I was watching that kit & was on the fence about buying it.

I'll post the pic of the box that you emailed me - in case someone else can chime in with a timeline.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that you can rest easy - with so much English (on the instructions), and the use of bar coding on the box - I think that this was a fairly recent re-issue.   Perhaps late 80's through maybe the early 2000's?    

Keeping the box might seem rough right now after your loss, but hang on to it - you might find a loose, built piece!

photo.JPG

Archived