Adhesive: Strongest Fastener

bartzenegger

hi , well my explorer is injured ! but i can fix it ! i need a fastener - maybe adhesive? that can adhere a gear to the axle . gear can not be allowed to spin thats how it broke in the first place. i have tried an epoxy called 5 min epoxy it says handles 1500 ibls. it really didnt work cuz gear is attached to axle and there is little room to get epoxy between the axle and gear.

anyway ........

hhhheeeeellllpppppp!

thanks

Bart,

is it possible to solder the gear to the axle? If not, I have had good success with superglue and a fast drying spray-on catalyst. The catalyst speeds up the drying time, gives a better bond and seems to strengthen the bond as well. Hope this helps.

BTW, looking forward to seeing that Explorer!

Hi Bart,-hehehe-,

The regular product,-hehehe-, for this problem is,-hehehe-,

Locktite 270,-hehehe-, or stronger. This is an anaerobic glue,-hehehe-,

this,-hehehe-, should work,-hehehe-,

suc,-hehehe-, ces.

Hi Bart,-hehehe-,

The regular product,-hehehe-, for this problem is,-hehehe-,

Locktite 270,-hehehe-, or stronger. This is an anaerobic glue,-hehehe-,

this,-hehehe-, should work,-hehehe-,

suc,-hehehe-, ces.

robert, sounds good!

henk ,buddy !!! you kill me! thanks for the info.

There's a hell of a strain on the space explorer's gearing lifting all the weight of the body etc.Try HI's loctite but if that fails get out the suggested blowtorch and solder but be careful Bart, brass melts easely.

Funkrobotik is right in so far that Locktite is in principal stronger,

but...

all glues etc. are weakened by grease and oxides.

If it solders, it solders and you have a bond with a given strenght. (suffient here)

I would not work with an open flame torch though, not even a jewellers torch,

in a mechanism which contains plastic, paper, brass, cardboard etc.

When the telephone rings, you melt the eyes!

However a 80 watts soldering iron is a cumbersome contraption too.

I have often filled a neighbouring pinion with solder too(!@#$%%$#!!!!)

So me (and NASA) go for the chemicals.

Do not use Cyanacrylates (superglue) in these cases.

They are very strong but they are crystaline, so they become brittle and they shatter.

(This holds true unless it does not hold true....

Locktite 406 is meant for rubber O-rings and can stand a lot of shocks and wiggleling.

It is very expensive though and, over here, only available for industrial use)

And in conclusion I would add: -hehehe-.

i have a mini torch and silver solder im going to test first to see ...

i also have j-b weld which many people say it very effective epoxy. which i will test .

will keep you posted. i think soder will be best do to weight strains.

Solder is the way to fix it. but I don't know about silver solder as it takes a higher heat, you don't want to damage the gear or the shaft, you might try normal solder or acid core solder. Watch out for the wicking action of the solder it may try to get into the teath of the gear!

Solder is the way to fix it. but I don't know about silver solder as it takes a higher heat, you don't want to damage the gear or the shaft, you might try normal solder or acid core solder. Watch out for the wicking action of the solder it may try to get into the teath of the gear!

thanks hut! i tested it on another gear and axle , the soder would not adhere

i dont think jb weld will do the job either cuz it wont be able to get between the gear and the axle! hhhhhhuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm!

Bartz - If you have a steel axle & brass or bronze gear, the solder should work, but - All parts have to be clean, and you really need a paste flux applied where you want it to stick. Then, both parts need to be hot, really hot enough or it just won't bond to them. I don't know how much room you have to work in there. Was the gear originally press fit on the shaft? If you can get it all apart, you could just solder some of the gear hole, redrill it & press it back on. I would really be carefull trying to get the steel + gear hot enough. The steel is o.k., you can't hurt that, but some of those geras are "pot metal" of sintered, or some crap like that. At a certain temp, they just melt. I'd hate to see two malpractice suits the same day!!! :unsure:

Hi Bart, Mike Van got his post in while I was typing,

So now I will just second what he said... :)

Make sure the surfaces are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN

and oil-free, and paste flux will work wonders

at making the solder stick.

I'm also not sure about using silver solder,

but I have used both acid and resin core to

fix loose gears...I use a small brush and coat

the whole thing with Paste Flux, and a 100 watt

soldering gun is plenty of heat to melt those...

Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly think sometimes

using a mini torch can actually get things TOO hot...

Like Mike and Henk said, I wouldn't want you to end

up with a puddle of molten plastic and brass !!!

From experience, I would recommend soldering as well.

Not only should the parts be clean but they should also

be "roughed up" where the solder is to stick. I use a tiny

file to cut many scratches where the solder is to stick. This

not only gives the solder something to grab, but it also

increases the effective surface area. I use a 100W gun type

iron with a homemade tip made from 14 guage bare copper.

The trick is to get the gear and shaft hot enough to melt

the solder on its own. If you let the iron melt the solder

onto the parts, they will not stick very well. I always use

60tin/40lead solder with rosin core. I've found that silver

solder doesn't stick as well to steel and acid flux always

scars me. Acid flux stays reactive forever and eventually

corrodes what it was used on...

oh man! thank you guys so much ! that gives me new hope! i tried non silver solder and it just beaded and fell right off.

i will take new info and try it.

spaceing between gear and shaft is so small that im concerned nothing can get between the two

which i believe is very important.

:) One more suggestion, if the gear is easily removeable, but then, nothing in that robot is easy, one could hammer (or 'peen') the gear's center slightly with a small hammer and punch to smash it around the hole on both sides, so it would fit more snugly onto the shaft. This slighly stretches the metal out into the little square hole a bit, can sometimes make it fit tighter. -L7

:) One more suggestion, if the gear is easily removeable, but then, nothing in that robot is easy, one could hammer (or 'peen') the gear's center slightly with a small hammer and punch to smash it around the hole on both sides, so it would fit more snugly onto the shaft. This slighly stretches the metal out into the little square hole a bit, can sometimes make it fit tighter. -L7

larry i have gear cam out of robot so that is an option, remember this gear was bent to begin with . i spent many hrs molding it to fit the pinion and arm gear. i m nervious to continue bending this little @$##@#%!!!!!

oh, if you havent noticed yet on yours one little thing in one area will effect another area more than any other robot i have ever seen.

its a disease that spreads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived