8 Man What do you think ?

Sparkrobot

8 hours ago, Sparkrobot said:

I know I didn't imagine it he was also selling cheap repros of the Moon robot aka Ribbo Robby.

That is interesting, I wonder if it is similar to the case of Tin Tom Toys where he made the original repros. then another maker stepped in and churned them out in their multiple thousands, but this time in reverse where the other maker is already churning them out before the official maker has had a chance to get theirs on the market via Jay. Sounds a bit improbable I suppose, but who knows. Spark, has seen them. :scratchhead:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian I wish I had kept his card. As far as I can remember his stall was predominantly 8 Man in both colours plus the Moon Robot and a few Chief Robotman.

The thing is I was purely into selling that day. He approached me right at the end of the Toyfair and I hadn't even tallied up my money so as tempted as I was it didn't feel right buying more robots. Alphadrome was a distant memory at that time.

I remember thinking hmm Moon Robot I was never going to buy a vintage one

( too expensive) that repro would have done fine for my collection and also 8 Man really appealed to me.

Now I'm back not collecting but my interest buzzing I am sure if he is at the next toyfair in March if the prices are right I will pick up a few bits.

• 2 years later...

The Black & Yellow 8 man is more canon to the cartoon series....I don't like the Blue version for 2 reasons.

The color is wrong and 8 man was a man, a Police officer,  not Astro boy.

But I understand Toys have to market themselves to children....perhaps the manufacturer thought kids would relate to kids.

Archived