8 Man What do you think ?

Sparkrobot

10 hours ago, roboz said:

I know right I should have kept my mouth shut until i bought a couple lol !!

:frustrate:

Ha, maybe we should cut up the DP and make 8 man robots....they will be rarer now!:wacko:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK what repro / scrap robots can be used as the donors for the bottom section and the head?😬 :biggrin:

As you know I've been away for a while so has anyone made a Frankenbot that resembles a classic robot?

Well spotted. Ozzie. I never noticed the similarities between 8 Man body and Diamond Planet.

A 3D version of the DP seems inevitable. It's a collection of simple geometric shapes.

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

A 3D version of the DP seems inevitable. It's a collection of simple geometric shapes.

Is that a hint Brian?? Anything you want to tell us?:biggrin:

The fact that the body is essentially the same 

I would be surprised if someone DIdn't just have Ha-Ha 

or whoever just finish the Job

I mean you're talking arms head, dial , the raised areas & plain base

( & of course also figuring out the internals)

Not advocating either way but seems like the best result would 

be a complete toy from the factory 

Just picking up these posts...

I was thinking last year already about making a scan of Diamond Planet Robot.
Like Brian said, it are some simple shapes in fact but that is also the tricky part.
drawing it from scratch would be better to print parts seperatly and to install some mechanism.

but... its a costly and time roving process and in the end..it will look like diamond planet but it will miss the charm.. why ! ?
because you can not draw the vintage part of the robot, the faults, the round edges the imperfections...
it will be even harder because most of us dont have a robot as example to draw...

I have a diamond planet robot and started a couple of times to draw it, just to see where it would bring me...
Maybe its my search for perfection that keeps me from the path to continue.   Drawing this robot would bring a robot that looks very similar to the original but... in the end its not would I would love to see in the creation.

Making a 3D Scan of the original would give perfect parts... but... i have to take my diamond planet robot apart for that to scan the files the way I want them.
and THAT is keeping me from doing it...

Taking my Diamond apart, spending days, weeks, on making the parts perfect to print, design a mechanism for it... 
Will make it a costly project again that everybody wants when you start the project but in the end, only a few are willing to spent some money... its to much time and work and ripping a diamond planet apart for a few copies...... hmmmm not sure about it...

I will leave it up to somebody who wants to draw it.... bring up the artists ;)....

20 hours ago, Ranger said:

... that space scooter with the freckled face kid on it, I recall him getting it in the neck somewhat ...

I agree. That toy is too sweet. I don't like the sweetness. I like the open minded and naive space tourists. 

8 Man vs DP:   
I clearly prefer 8 Man as he doesn't carry that dreadful crematory furnace around with him.

4 hours ago, roboz said:

The fact that the body is essentially the same 

I would be surprised if someone DIdn't just have Ha-Ha 

or whoever just finish the Job

I mean you're talking arms head, dial , the raised areas & plain base

( & of course also figuring out the internals)

Not advocating either way but seems like the best result would 

be a complete toy from the factory 

Ha-Ha.  So another question to ponder

A cheap perfect repro for the masses of a super rare robot.

Does this take the shine /alure of say the Diamond Planet . I haven't been buying anything lately but I have seen cheap knockoffs of the Ribbon robot and 8 Man that started this thread.

When my collecting was in full flow and funds were low I would have loved to own any sacred rare robot the Chinese could throw at me infact I used to be a big fan of these accessible copies.

Now hmm😒 I'm not so sure.

Well like I stated prior I'm not advocating they repop this 

I'm sure If I owned one I wouldn't want it reproduced 

but for those that don't have 15-40K to buy a loose or boxed one

that would be a reasonable alternative 

I am suggesting that based on the 8 man they have the foundation to have 

a company like HA-HA do it 

A nice compromise if they did reproduce it would be to 

create different colors & make them battery versions

That would clearly delineate between real & fake

That said I don't think repos would hurt the value of originals

They are rare enough to stand on their own but this is just my opinion 

Roboz

I agree it would be nice to be able to own a 'version' of Diamond Planet I was just thinking somehow it takes away a bit of the magic. Like when you are or was in my case a mid end collector  I would strive to own say a Chief Smokey. When the repros of this robot came out I snapped one up for little money then in my mind I couldn't be bothered to try and save/hunt down an original.

Just my thoughts.

I've no plans, Robert .... at the moment. (ta-da-daaaaaaaa). Marco, take it apart and photograph it with a ruler along side, old bean, if you'd be so kind. :biggrin: You really don't need an original to make these copies.

"Did the repro Thunder take the shine off the original?"

Spark, you'd be saving quite a while for your original Diamond Planet, though I imagine the magic would be strong if you ever got one. Getting the reproductions certainly does diminish desire for an original, even though getting them cheap and easy doesn't feel the same. I've never bothered with pug Robbies, or the original Planets,  though I hope to someday. I see nice Zoomers for sale - I only have a few originals, but I got a complete set of those reproductions and they seem to be enough. I regret not buying a Christmas green and red version!  It partly depends on the quality of the repro. I would surely still have to have the original chiefs if I didn't already have them. I have the Reproductions sparky robots but I love my originals much more and still hope to get the one I don't have. In any case, even the originals mostly seem to be getting cheaper if the last Morphy auction is any indication. I'll hope to have a few dollars saved for the one in April!

I can also promise you, if you didn't get to experience it, that finding robots as a kid gave fifty times the joy of acquiring them now, and of course, even now it's pretty good!

David

Oops. Yeah I should have thought harder on my reply. I was never going to save for an original Diamond Planet.

At the toy fair the 8 Man rep approached me and led me to his stall.

I know I didn't imagine it he was also selling cheap repros of the Moon robot aka Ribbo Robby.

I searched the net just now and couldn't see any of these. Anyone seen 'em?

Archived