8 Man What do you think ?

Sparkrobot

Personally I like the look of this robot.

The boys/mans face may put the robot purists amongst you off.

I actually wasn't aware if there was an old original version of this toy but became aware of this 8 Man robot when I was selling at a toy fair recently. The 12 inch battery operated toy was selling for £70 pounds.

I would like to know your views on human face robots

For or Against?

8manebayfinal1_1024x1024.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really my thing, the Japanese super heroes don't appeal to me, that one at £70 though sounds a reasonable price from what I've seen them going for on ebay. Generally I prefer robot type faces to the human faces, in fact a child's face behind a visor or under a dome is a right turn off.

Yes, £70 sounds very reasonable. It's the same old thing spark....'buy what you like'.  If it appeals to you then that's all that matters at the end of the day. Having said that I agree with MRH but each to their own.

Cheers.

Ha! Ranger, you beat me to the punch.

Yes, you buy what you like, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Post your treasures, if they make you happy, and don't worry what anyone else thinks; last time I checked, this was still a free speech website.

However, with that having been said, I too squarely in MRH's camp, a robot should look like a robot, not a human in a robot suit. Now, if they are trying to make a human form, although that is hard to do in tin, some of the early astronaut tins were pretty cool. Unfortunately, the makers of the 8 Man toy, just didn't bother with realism, and the square body just doesn't do the character justice.

I do like this 50th Ann version that was made to look like the box with the black paint finish instead of the blue. And then there was this version done by Billiken with more of a body look to it.

8 man 50th ann.jpg

8 man billiken-shokai.jpg

Roboto the Biliken is definitely prefereable as a good representation of the character.

Now I am guessing most of us would  want this one in our collection.

So has this swayed anyone in favour of  the strange boy faced robots ?

CHIME_TROOPER_ROBOT.JPG

I specially love these human faces innocently expecting future encounters, watching from inside their harnesses, disguises or vehicles. They approach distant environments, they reduce the distance by being clad like the characters they are curously out for.

This is stronger with young faces, even baby faces. Final sequence of the Space Odyssey 2001 movies. The astronaut set off being a grown up man, he arrives seeing himself as a baby. Time has been bent.k Open mind, naivity is the measure. I love the baby head version in those big red or blue astronauts. Chime Trooper is fantastic. 

This is not argueing against the sometimes fierce grown up astronaut's faces. No competition. As long as the figure looks like an astronaut or a human displaced into space, I love it.

Chime trooper is beautiful.......from the neck down! 

Imagine it with a CRM or smoker type head, it would have been fantastic.

That said, if anyone has got one for three hundred quid I will gladly take it!!:biggrin:

12 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Chime trooper is beautiful.......from the neck down! 

Fully in agreement, pity it has a tin can on top with a child's face inside, rarity and that superb body makes it desirable, to me that is. Each to his own.

I like human face robots, more friendly looking? i guess so, yes this is a very nice robot, smoking spaceman style robot wich i like a lot

20 hours ago, Roboto said:

I do like this 50th Ann version that was made to look like the box with the black paint finish instead of the blue. And then there was this version done by Billiken with more of a body look to it.

8 man 50th ann.jpg

8 man billiken-shokai.jpg

Cool robot , especially like the black version 

I think that torso has lots of potential for other cool robots 

Human faces? I love 'em.

The Yonezawa 8 Man copy is  a good looking piece, much larger than you'd imagine. There do appear to be a surfeit of the blue ones on the market at the moment and I've seen very low prices at toy shows. £70 (probably $70 with Brexit) is a steal.

My ranting re face types on robots/space figures continued:

Chime Trooper for me is a displaced human, astronaut class.

I may have a problem with working humans in exo-skeletons. They are no man-machines yet. Half way through. No. The pure man-machine still is my favourite, if it is about robotic figures. 

If partly humanoid characters look like cyborgs I may like them better again. 8 Man to me appears like being a cyborg. I'm not really familiar with the Japanese culture of super heroes and shogun phantasies. They are crazy and super-natural or artificial. Are they necessarily meant to be man made? Don't know. Anyway, cyborgs are a class on their own. 

It is a triangle with space objects in the center, astronauts, cyborgs and robots on the three edges around. I'm into all three and into space objects as well.

Had a chance to buy a Chime Trooper in '85 for $1,195 MINMB at Toronto Toy Show, didn't know the rarity at the time although I'd been collecting for about 10 years at that point, all I'd seen is the pic in Mr. Kitahara's book, not much info at that time.  That was way more than a months' wages for me back then, I asked the seller if he could start it up.  He answered if I bought it FIRST then he would.  As we walked away from his booth, my friend states "Eleven ninety-five doesn't seem bad for a tin robot" eluding to $11.95.  My wife Laurie told him the real price and he felt faint and had to sit down for awhile.  Wish now I'd found a way, I didn't care for it until I saw it in the flesh. They were going for far more back then than this one...I was saving my $$$ for a Mechanized and didn't want to squander my money on something else. :frustrate:

The 8-man robot is not my thing but looks nicely made.  If we all collected the same things it would get boring.

Archived