Space Patrol Project- forerunner of Fireball XL5

Brian..

Before Fireball XL5 there was a strange, wonderful space marionette series called Space Patrol. In the US it was renamed Planet Patrol to avoid confusion with an earlier program. I'm old enough to remember its appearance in the early 60s. It was wonderful viewing and in many ways it was ahead of Fireball. Electronic sound effects, suspended animation and the oddest gyroscopic spaceship. In other respects it was annoying: silly creatures and endless repeats of stock footage.

Here's the first version. His legs need adjustment but he's almost there. Oddly enough the puppet seems to have been built around a clockwork motor. As it is moved around by the puppeteer a clockwork mechanism turns the hip disk around. There are very few toys connected with the series and I think have the only robot --- Yeaaa!

IMG_20161125_111033.jpg

Fascinating bit of TV history, Brian; this show, which was not associated with, nor produced by Gerry Anderson, is of the same quality. The city in the end credits is far more impressive than any seen on Fireball XL-5, but that s-s-stuttering b-b-bird was as annoying as Zoonie the lazoon.

This robot you made seems spot-on, from what I can see in the footage, and I agree with the clockwork comment; there were definitely moving gears in the hips. I think these cyclops' are far superior to the Granitoid robots as well.

The clock work effect in the show stops and starts in a way that makes me think its not clock work but a string "line" wound around a small drum in the robot that is pulled from above on que. All the faces look a lot like jerry mahoney not sure that I would say its a better show from the prop stand point but I did enjoy watching the you tube .

• 3 months later...

More needs to be seen of this brilliant Cyclops Robot which also featured in the Space Patrol sticker book.  As far as I know the only piece of SP merchandise to feature the Robot. 

Well made Brian, you have created an excellent Robot :thumbs:

• Brian.. changed the title to Space Patrol Project- forerunner of Fireball XL5
  • 1 year later...

Interesting...A friend of mine would love a copy of that robot. He's really into Space Patrol.

I grew up watching re-runs of Fireball XL5, but after being introduced to 'Space Patrol' on youtube, I found it is just as good. Nice stories.

If you ever decide to sell prints, let us know....unless it was a one off. Nice job   (yea, I know it's a year old post 👀 )

Archived