Space Cadet Pin

Tinman

I found this "Space Cadet" pin over the weekend at one of those traveling flea markets (Big Flea) but haven't found much on it; an example sold on the card a few years ago at a Hake's auction but other than that I'm drawing blanks.  It's obviously affiliated with Tom Corbett Space Cadet and probably dates to the early-mid 50's; has anyone else seen this before?

$20 (Oct 2016).JPG

Hake's auction pic:

$115 (Jan 2010).jpg

Bill, I have seen many Space Cadet pins, but never one like this; the chrome plating is unusual. Yours appears to be mint, even better than the one from Hake's auction. It was most likely a locally offered item, Rockhill Radio is a station in South Carolina; WRHI AM.

After a little more searching I'm thinking the Hake's auction item was a marriage of card and pin.  I noticed the auction's card had a circular spot of faded color and later found the below pic; I think the circular badge is the correct item offered on card and not the pin I found.  I'm still thinking the pin is vintage cause there would probably be a lot more of them floating around if it was something newly produced...but it's a guess for now.

image.jpg

• 4 months later...

I added another Space Cadet pin to my collection and as before, haven't seen it before.  It's in the same style as the pin I found in October 2016 and has the same gold-chrome plating.  The rocket looks like the one on the badge in the above pic but I still haven't been able to connect it as an official premium of the TV show.

$27 (mar 2017)2.jpg

p2.jpg

p1.jpg

Bill -

Check out this Hake's auction from 2011:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/65853/TOM-CORBETT-SPACE-CADET-1954-SCARCE-PIN-FROM-SEARS

space cadet pin.JPG

"1.5" tall very elaborate die-cut design of Space Cadet with rocket ship accent and simulated linked chains at the lower corners of the human figure. Bottom center also has tiny Space Cadet logo. Item is finished in brilliant gold luster plus red and blue enamel paint. This pin came with the purchase of a boxed Tom Corbett flashlight. Beautiful NM glossy luster."

This Hake's auction from 2014 indicates the rocket pin also came with some flashlights:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/90377/TOM-CORBETT-SPACE-CADET-PAIR-OF-SCARCE-1954-PINS-FROM-SEARS

O.K. I think I've figured this one out.

Here's an Alphadrome entry for the Space Patrol Rocket Lite spotted in a 1954 Sears catalog:

This image, from that post, shows a Tom Corbett Flashlight PLUS Space Cadet Kit.

1954 sears cat int space cadet.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, the rocket pin and the cadet pin are depicted along with a Tom Corbett "face" ring:

tom corbett ring.JPG

Now, to find a better picture of this ad in another 1954 Sears Christmas catalog.

Joe, you certainly did...many thanks!!!  Wow, for being official Tom Corbett gear the pins are never seen; the rings can be found but their condition is usually less than desirable; the rocket pin in the 2014 auction is in ROUGH shape...now I feel fortunate to get one in such good shape.  As you mentioned, I'd love to find a better clipping from the Sears catalog.

Thanks again!

2014 Hake's auction rocket pin:

2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A better image of the 1954 Sears ad found in The Big Toy Box at Sears 1951 - 1969, Edited by Peter Fritz and John Mautner.

big toy box.JPG

Here's what the ad copy reads:

An exciting gift ! Big 6 7/8-inch colorfully lithographed steel flashlight has Siren built into end cap.

Kit includes Ring, Badge, a Space Pin as shown or a small toy compass (sorry, no choice).

Flashlight has 500-ft. spot beam. Plastic lens. Red Plastic Head lights up around head for danger signals.

Flasher button for code signaling. With bulb, 2 leakproof batteries. Attractively boxed.

34  N  4449 --- Shpg. wt. 3 lbs. 5 oz. . $1.59

Checking the 1953 Sears catalog in the same book, there is another ad for the flashlight and a different kit. It reads:

Colorfully lithographed 6 7/8-inch steel flashlight with built-in siren. Tom Corbett Space Cadet Kit, PLUS

Planet Distance Guide and Interplanetary Weight Chart. Kit includes ring, badge and real compass with

plastic wrist band. Flashlight throws 500-ft. spot beam. Plastic lens. Red plastic head lights up around rim

for danger signals. Flasher button for signaling. Bulb, 2 batteries included.

34  N  4449 --- Shpg. wt. 3 lbs. 5 oz. . $1.59 

The line drawing in that ad shows these three pieces:

tom corbett kit 1953.JPG

Perhaps the "small toy compass (sorry no choice)" offered in 1954 was left over from 1953?

The 1954 ad:                                                                              The 1953 ad:

space cadet f 53.JPG space cadet f 54.JPG

• 4 years later...