Buck Rogers TV series 1979 - 1981

Sinbad

Just wondering if there's much interest here in the late 70s / early 80s tv show of Buck Rogers? I grew up watching this series and it is the only onscreen adaptation of the character that I'm familiar with. I admit that I haven't seen the old serials though I have watched the Flash Gordon ones (long ago.) I guess some might find the late 70s / early 80s tv series corny but I still think it holds up pretty well these days. And the special effects are still pretty good. And I liked the concept of a guy from contemporary times waking up far into the future and having to adapt to a difference in culture and lifestyle. I'm not sure if the old serials were like this or whether the main character was born in the future time? There was one particular episode in season 2 which had obviously been copied from a Space 1999 episode. In both episodes (from both shows) there are alien creatures disguised as humans who appear perfectly normal in appearance to most of the crew. In the Space 1999 episode, these are large seaweed-like creatures with a single eye and can be detected by Martin Landau's character who is suffering from a sickness. In the Buck Rogers episode, Buck is experiencing a high fever and he's the only one who can see the aliens in their true form - reptilian creatures.

Great theme song and opening intro too:

Wow what a great premise - old Buck meets new Buck. I wouldn't have recognised Buster Crabbe without it being pointed out to me - Ive only seen him in the old Flash Gordon serials. I must say he looked pretty good for his age in this episode (early 1980s.) 

Archived