Horikawa Attacking Martian Wiring ... HELP !!!!

DavidM

Hi everyone

I have a Horikawa Attacking Martian that need it's wiring fixing but it seems that my one doesn't have the same layout as in the diagrams.

I have 3 red wires and one blue. The blue one goes from the motor to the batteries ? I think. One red wire soldered to the motor and frame. The other 2 red ones come from either side of the lights to? I don't know. :wacko: The wires that were attached to the battery box overheated and melted.

I don't want to start soldering bits together and get it wrong. Here are the pictures.

Could anybody help? Thanks in advance.

PS The robot is mine, kept it from when I was a kid, hence the wear and tear.

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidM

• Gatethorn

• robothut

• Racerxc70

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi , I saw your post concerning your later version of Attacking Martian . The one person I know who might be able to answer questions concerning this different wiring diagram , assembly is Robot hut . He did help me figure out all my “loose wiring” problems on my attacking Martian . DavidM

• 1 month later...

Hi DavidM

I didn't have the time to reply. Thank you for the info, i will try to send a message to Robot hut.

Thank again

Paul

Hello Shootingstar66,

I also had to fix the wiring on one of these robots.

Firstly,  it should remembered that batteries have changed since the 1960s. Whatever you do, I'd stick to using old technology batteries,  avoiding all this new higher rated stuff. (No idea what batteries you used. This is a general caveat.)

What I found is that these robots use their chassis as part of the circuit (like a car has negative earth), and I had a short-circuit problem. So be aware of this possibility. 

I'd suggest you begin your diagnosis by seeing where the burnt out wires were attached. It'd help if you can identify them in a photograph. Even if the wires completely burnt through, there should be blobs of solder where they attached.

Also, in trying to recreate a wiring diagram, you can disregard those wires which power the bulbs inside the guns. So that should simplify things.

The wiring won't be complicated, but you may be leaking current through a short-circuit. My short-circuit was in the on/off switch, no longer insulated from the chassis.

If you can identify residual solder where those burnt wires were. And do a first hack at a wiring diagram,  we should be able to figure this out.

Rick Gatethorn 

By the way, does anything work at the moment, or is it completely dead?

Use an old battery that's almost dead for testing. You want to keep the power to a minimum at the moment. 

Rick Gatethorn 

• 2 years later...