Horikawa Attacking Martian Wiring ... HELP !!!!

DavidM

Hi All !! I am new to this wonderful sight that I have been following for awhile . I need some help in the way of "interior", electrical diagram and or photos, images, reference for a Horikawa Attacking Martian . I inherited a Brown Attacking Martian that never worked  from my late Father inlaw . He did work on the interior of the robot electrically  so ,I don't have a clear indication of how it was originally suppose to be wired  . Could anyone help me with photographic reference of how this robot is wired up correctly ? I would greatly appreciate it . This is challenging without a map !!  Thanks , Davidm

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidM

• Gatethorn

• robothut

• Racerxc70

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would appreciate any help ! Please walk me through this carefully , would love to get him working again ! I didn't include the head yet it has lighted fly eyes . I thought this for now was enough . Thanks Davidm

Holy crap. first remove all the wiring. you need to use a small gauge wire and a multi strand wire is better in most cases. Old computer cables like a old printer cable or usb cable can be slit open to give a nice supply of small but flexible wire.

In most bots like this it is important to feed the motor the right polarity as there is a climbing gear set up that does the gun action and walk stop actions. If that hooked up wrong the motor will jam. No big deal, you can reverse the battery feed and get it going. just a heads up. Also many of these bot will have the battery power run to a switch that has one side of the switch connected to the metal frame of the robot. So when the switch is turned On the power passed to the frame. Like wise one of the motor wires is connected to frame ground and the other wire will go directly to the battery box. get that much working and we can walk you threw the rest. If I had one apart I would shoot you a pic. Any one has a picture on file that will help out David ?

Thank you ! Yup ... it's a basket case !! That's why in addition to your helpful info. A  photo of attacking Martian "interior " would be most helpful to check electrical wires against , not just for me but for all future robot enthusiasts who visit your wonderful site ! I scoured alphadrome to find any photographic reference onsite of the interior wire set up and I could not find any . Seeing this is a more common base type robot it would be a good one to start with interior photo wise .

I tried this with some alligator wire leads and it worked !! Hooray !!! Thank you ! Will solder this in if you think this is right . Ready for next step.

There is a clicker inside that a spinning metal finger hits when the guns are supposed to be happening. Normally there is a place to solder a wire to this insulated clicker / wiper. So as you can see when the metal fingers touch the clicker wiper the clicker wiper will become connected to the frame. So if one wire from a light is soldered to the clicker wiper and the other wire from the light is soldered to "-" of the battery box in your drawing then the lights will flash ON every time the metal finger contacts the bras clicker / wiper.

Great run through robothut, its a nightmare the first time.

I find a bulb soldered to wires with clips  and a spare remote helps me find if things are live and working. its just a case of tracking down those bad connections and finding the live ones.

cheers Chilli

Thanks for the second installment Robothut ,  on the Horikawa Attacking Martian wiring project . I will delve into it tonight and report back to you . I know the area you are referring to . This is what is hitting the brown fiber board on the inside of the gearbox . I will look for tell tale signs of solder in that area and reattach according to your description .  .....DavidM

Hi Robothut , so last night , I checked out to see for myself  what you where referring too as far as the striker wheel that hits the electrical contact strip that creates the machine gun light flash . What I learned was that , this isolated electrical contact strip appears again right above the gearbox for easy wire connection .   I have a picture of inside the gear box . I easily removed the front machine guns for access to this .The contact strip is in the back ,"dark grey " , the striker wheel is near center bottom . Second picture below is the top of the contact strip "wiper ",  you referred to this is the right side solder ball .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Robothut and all , here is the rewire of Horikawa Attacking Martian Robot  with thinner Gauge wire , minus the wires for the red fly eyes , which will be added one wire to the contact wiper strip and the other wire to the negative side of the battery box .

image.jpeg

By the way, for those of you who have burned out machine gun lights I found that regular red Christmas lights work great for replacements "the very small ones with the funny little tips "

Here is an updated Wiring Diagram of the Horikawa Attacking Martian Robot for you all on Alphadrome . Thank you so much "RobotHut " for your help !!!

image.jpeg