Martian Gil's Toys

Martian Gil

Greetings!
I think I am going about the start of my bot collection in a backwards way.   There are a few old pieces of tin on their way to my abode, but I felt compelled to make a kindly fellow to greet them when they arrive.

Please say hello to Gilbert - until some of his older cousins arrive, he'll be hanging out with my various space toys.

peace.

DSC09832.JPG

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Martian Gil

• Roboto

• 6Stelab9

• Ranger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Roboto!

I completed Gilbert's eyes just in time for him to greet the first arrival from the postman.
This porthole 'naut isn't perfect - and the remote is trashed, but he works!   bonus.   Time for a scotch!

Later, I'll ask about the right remote to look for - or just use a kit?

Cheers all!

DSC09848.JPG

DSC09844.JPG

Thanks for the welcome Ranger.

I got several little repros - and a bright and shiny bender a couple weeks ago... Bender is decent - and a st. Johns mini seems well built, but the others aren't up to snuff.

As Tinplate6 reminded me, get what you like - I come from collecting Japanese tin race cars, (which is how I got into this mess, space plastic, to saucers & rockets.... oh man.

Anyway, porthole it was. As I said, not perfect for all - but perfect for me.  I was quite prepared to have a silent sentinel for my cabinet.   Now that I know he works... all I can say is wow.   I think I went from aspirin to heroin.

So now, his trashed remote status gives me a little side job in the meantime.  Any advice on methods to consider?

Kirk

Hi kirk

Your best guy to ask would maybe be John rigg, aka robothut, amongst others here on alpha. Maybe you could post a photo of the remote for starters?

Thanks Ranger.

Should I do that in a thread (as a mention or something), or pm him (I will copy this to him in a pm as well - just wondered for  future posts)?   - if appropriate as well, someone could move this and open a new thread.

Here are a couple pics of the remote - I also have a little 16 sec vid of this guy in action.   I won't post the vid unless asked - I think it would be a large file.  Maybe I could put it on youtube if anyone is interested. 

The remote is zorched.  

The tinman himself seems strong - there is an odd whine about his motor, I'm not sure if that's some slippage or normal.
His leg action and right arm are strong - his left seems to have been moved at sometime and is not functioning with the motor.

His balance when moving is suspect.   No, I didn't give him any scotch.  ;)
I'm not sure if his balance is due to he wheels being a little age hardened and slightly out of round, or the fact that his battery wire is so rigid - that really seemed to affect his range of movement. 

It seems possible that at some point in his life, that he was opened? - he is missing one tab (on right side under gun arm).
I don't think I would be willing to do that to him again - especially after reading Brian's suggestions on repairing batt opperated bots.

At this point, I think I would like to connect an appropriate (or as close as I could get) remote to him and call it good - set him with my other toys and call it good.   What do you folks all suggest?

Thanks for any input - Kirk  

DSC09884.JPG

DSC09883.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the advice Roboto!  
I have an old Linemar remote on its way to me now - it won't be original to Mr. Porthole, but it will work.

In the meantime, I need to re-organize the space toy shelf... the bug bit hard.  
I don't think any of these are even near perfect, but they seem to like it here.

They've forced the old inhabitants to a lower shelf.  And that isn't even making room for the Masaduya Space Commando who is traveling to me from the Netherlands... thanks Marco!

I know the spacemen / astronauts aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I get a kick out of them - I lean towards the 'nauts and the clunky looking beauty's.  

Here is how the habit has spread so far - with a newer Bender thrown in.  Bender keeps flicking ashes on the rest of the tin tho - so he may have to go..

The space toys have certainly invaded.

Cheers fellow 'dromers - have a great weekend!  

Kirk

DSC00710.JPG

DSC00701.JPG

thanks Ranger - it's a beauty... in a way.  Not my normal type of wheeled "crack".   and not really spacey - kind of a hybrid.