Alps Television Spaceman

ckalkhof

I know this has probably been done to death, but I thought you might like to see the guts of this robot in action. I really like when John posts the insides to the robots he works on. I think the mechanical design and how these robots are built is one of the most fascinating parts of the hobby. How the builders were able to do so much with so little is amazing to me. 

Running your bot off a bench power supply works good for the video. I do not here the screecher box sqeeling as the leg cam lets it go against the pinion gear. One of the best features of the bot.  OK all the features are great. Thanks for posting.

Oh trust me John, the screecher was working :-) All the ambient motor and gear noises mask it a little, but if you listen you can hear it.

Thank you all for the comments!

Yes I do recall videoing one once and the screecher did not sound on the video do to the way the MIC picks up the other sounds of the robot. If you have been in a few of these you will find that some have a cardboard resonator attached to screecher device and some do not. The details they went too for a cheep toy is amazing. Those that have visited the Robothut know about the 8 foot long blow up print out I have of the artwork from inside this robot. What is amazing is that the quality of the printed image inside the toy is so good that you can blow it up to 8 foot long and it still looks GREAT. It was the first robot I ever had as a child, got it from my grandparents, second was Radical Robot and got that from my Aunt and uncle.

I have one of these that works rather well...except the multi color light in the mouth only works when it wants to...or after a good bop to the side of the head.

Ken there is only 1 light in the robot. The TV screen light shines up to the mouth area so if the mouth light goes out so does the TV light. Now if you mean the mouth effect does not rotate the color change effect  all the time then thats a flex drive / gear problem but the eyes would stop rotating also since they are on driven from the same flex drive.

Yes that can happen as well Ken, the gears that drive the color wheel can have a problem  or what I have seen happen more times is the transparent color wheel jell is not on the wheel any more 100%. they held it on with clear tape where the ends meet, yes there are small tabs that can be bent to help hold the Jell in place but some times the jell is so brittle that it has come a part a bit. That can make things hang up or not turn at all.

Great video

A video of how the bendable linkage to the head works would be great also....anybody have that?

If he wasn't buttoned up, I would gladly take a picture for you :- ( 

In this particular robot, that linkage you speak of was all knotted up and it prevented the robot from operating. It's just a long copper spring. very similar to a speedometer cable. I found an exact replacement at McMaster Carr (the best source for hardware/materials etc... just about anything on the planet!). I may have some pictures from a previous repair - let me check.

Archived