UK edition Flash Gordon comics cover...

ervino

Hi All!

I just got this original tempera-painted artwork.

The seller declared it as a UK-edition Flash Gordon comics cover.

Is maybe anyone able to exactly identify the comic edition and/or the author of the paint?

The work itself is 23 x 23 cm, nicely painted indeed on an almost A3 dimensioned light cardboard, glued on an hardboard back.

FYI, the seller has another different one still on sale for 100 euros plus shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COVER-ORIGINALE-FLASH-GORDON-N-5-/272051020770?hash=item3f578123e2:g:1i8AAOSwiwVWTkNq

Cheers

Ervino

FG_cc-medium.jpg

Flash Gordon comics have been made for many decades and I only know the original Alex Raymond strips with any degree of thoroughness. If you could get the year and/or comic book company it should be something that can be figured out. Otherwise one would have to look through an awful lot of comic book covers... And it would take a bit of research in its own right just to figure out all the different series by all the different companies that came out over the decades. But a year and/or company would be a HUGE step. (I was feelin' the Bern on that HUGE.)

Flash Gordon comics have been made for many decades and I only know the original Alex Raymond strips with any degree of thoroughness. If you could get the year and/or comic book company it should be something that can be figured out. Otherwise one would have to look through an awful lot of comic book covers... And it would take a bit of research in its own right just to figure out all the different series by all the different companies that came out over the decades. But a year and/or company would be a HUGE step. (I was feelin' the Bern on that HUGE.)

Hi Blaze!

Thanks for your reply! :-)

Unfortunately the only info I have are the ones that the seller put in the item auction description: "original drawing for a cover of a iusse of a United Kingdom edition of a Flash Gordon comic" and no more: no publisher and no author... :-(

Anyway, if I must judge by the "musty" smell of the item, it should be old enough: lets say at least the '60 (judging too by the drawing style...).

Anyway, the art itself is, IMO, gorgeous, and personally I like "originals" (i.e. hand-made-one-of-a-kind) items a lot just by themselves.

Knowing exactly the comic issue for which it was made is a plus, if anyone happens to be able to discover it... :-)

Cheers

Ervino

An addendum: I noted that in the bottom left corner of the painting, just over FG leg, there is a monogram: "SF". The initials of the author, I presume...

E.

• 3 years later...
On 2/25/2016 at 4:10 AM, ervino said:

BINGO!!!

The painting is for the cover of the UK Flash Gordon (2nd Series) #3 by World Distributors publisher, 1959...

Holy #$*@ !! That is killer. Congratulations on figuring that out and bigger congratulations on having that amazing piece in your collection.

1 hour ago, Blaze Atoms said:

Holy #$*@ !! That is killer. Congratulations on figuring that out and bigger congratulations on having that amazing piece in your collection.

I agree Blaze, what a spectacular find! There's nothing like an original; the illustration looks great and the colors are still vibrant.