Moon Globe Bank

roboz

I have no reason to believe it's cobbled. The base looks familiar but I can't say I remember seeing the globe. The colors in the base and the globe look like a match The ring around the earth is a little strange. Would be cool to find the box.

I believe it to be complete.....A piece that just grows on you.....the blues, yellows, and maroon colors are superb and the rockets seem to magically appear.....its nice to see something no one has seen before....that excites me ....congrats to the winner!

Here is a comment I received from the seller when I asked about the history of the toy?

Hi Mark. Yes, everything is original. Unfortunately I know very little about it's history. A fellow antiques dealer opened a space at the antique mall I'm in and has been bringing pieces he's been hoarding in storage units for the last 30+ years. My wife bought this from him for me as a gift last year.

s-l13600.jpg

• 4 years later...

The piece reminds me in a way of Duro Mold & Mfg's Commemorative Strato Bank and their Destination Moon Bank, though they're not tin lithograph...

The ring around the Earth on the Duro banks commemorate the Mercury Astronauts, so I wonder if that ties into your bank...

I once owned the specimen shown above by Roboz because it's a Japanese version of Duro's Strato Bank...but I've never seen this specimen...very intriguing...

The Duro Strato Bank (Silver Chrome and Green in common as well as Commemorative models.).JPG

The Duro Destination Moon Bank (Common Sliver Chrome, Rarer Gold Chrome, Scarce Grren and elusive Silver Chrome.) Common (bare ring) as well as Commemoratives..JPG