Chinese Tin Toy Industry (Space Walk Man)

plasticaugie

Jay from Robot Island posted some pics of his visit on his website sometime back. The stamping equipment that was being used looked ancient. There was a documentary on one of the cable channels years ago that showed these horrid sweat shops from the seventies over there. The reason I recall the program so well was they showed that large wind up jumping green horse (spinning tail and hind legs) with a acrobat atop being manufactured. The stamping equipment in the show was ancient looking then Even the floors of the building were dirt. The lighting sucked. Under those conditions, I don't think any toy would survive pristine. Picture of horse attached.

post-226-0-57334100-1423253635_thumb.jpg

laserman, very interesting details about import of Chinese toys to the U. S.

For lots of info re toy production in China see Robothut's recent post:

The museum has shut down in 2010. The website is still online with some real treasures of the history of toy making like e. g.:

post-1815-0-34431600-1423269823_thumb.jp

Wonder, if Mr. Marvin Chan's book about more than 100 years of toy production in China is still available.

I got a lot of mine off EBay. But I still was able to get a whole bunch of them at a local Hobby Shop. We have a store here in Buffalo called Niagara Hobby and Craft Mart, and at one point carried practically every tin robot available and also the 50th Anniversary Edition of Robert the Robot and Mr. Machine. Unfortunately, now for some reason their selection is very limited...same old stuff. They hadn't had nothing new in a couple of years since the original owner passed away. His kids are running it now and apparently they don't think the Robots are a big draw.

post-125-0-12404100-1423286431_thumb.jpg

post-125-0-07887100-1423286877_thumb.jpg

Laserman, I would be curious to see what toys are in those catalogs. The Chinese toy thing leaves me hesitant to plunge in. I see (really suddenly it seems like) lots of toys purported to be 1960s' "RED CHINA" production but the litho seems too nice and the box styles more like 70's or 80's artwork. I often see prices attached to these ebay sales that would rival Japanese toys - I don't know if people are getting these prices or just a lot of asking.

• 1 year later...

That's a really interesting topic about when were the Chinese toys available in USA.  China made toys started in 1910s and the golden age is 1930s and 1960s.  My friend and I have ever bought few 30s china made toys from a USA dealer around 2001 or 2002, he mentioned that he bought these few items from someone who imported china made toys in 30s.  Anyway, nice to know you guys...

Anyway, I am Marvin Chan who collect old chinese toys for the past 30 years, so hope to have more topic on China made toys in near future.  Have a nice day.

Same here Marvin. Welcome! It would be wonderful if you could post pictures of pre- 80's Chinese space toys or robots if they were being made at that time. 

Hello Marvin, great to have you on board here! 

Very much looking forward to learn from your insight into Chinese toy production, specially re the robots and space theme.

Archived