Alps Rocket Man Launching Problem

funkrobotik

I put '' compression Springs '' in the search box on ebay last night and bingo,,,,,, different springs ,, different diameters etc and cut to the lengths you want so I've ordered a length to try.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh, "compression", I did not realise that was the name for them. I had searched ebay for springs before with no luck, compression in the search term makes all the difference. Many thanks for that.I would be happy if I can get the rockets to just clear the head, after all its only a small piece of plastic that hold the rocket locked into place when compressed.

You've hit the nail on the head there,,, (talking about hammers ) yes the plastic would not take too much pressure mine are already showing signs of rounding off. I might square up the edges a bit.

I'd not thought to look on eBay! Look at 221596063604. They might be a little thin, but pretty close. It seems to me the ideal size is around .22 inches, but these might do. If you're going to put them in repro rockets, they might blast them to shreds the minute you compress them. I used zillions of springs in the toys I mad in the seventies. Extension springs are the ones that you pull, rather than push. Lots of those in robots too. They're the ones with the loops on the ends.

Thanks for the heads up on the ebay listing David. It seems there are 3 UK members on the look out for Rocket Man springs, funkrobotic, chilli and myself, but I see the springs in this ebay listing quote shiiping to the UK at $61, perhaps a message to the seller to confirm shipping price is needed, seems way over the top for a small spring.

I'll be out this weekend. I'll look in the bins and see if there is anything promising. I looked through my supplies and found nothing similar.

Maybe try this first .... 200 different pieces for 4,59 € ! Ships from Germany .... E-bay: 260931434854. Containing both types... Druckfedern & Zugfedern....

Many more assortments watch out for ( Federn Sortiment) on E-bay Germany...

Got some springs off the bay and got him firing eventually .

They came with a 6.5 mm diameter and as the original hole was only 6mm I just had to run a 6.5 mm drill down the rocket to get them in.

You can cut the springs to what length you want and the longer you have the more power you get,,, but,,, if you have them much longer than David Kirk said then they don't sit correctly on the robot in the unlocked position so they want to be about 3.5 inches long but this of course means power loss,, dohhh ! The other point is that if you have them longer then the pressure on the spring puts a lot of load on the plastic lock tabs on the rocket and the launching post . Also it makes it hard work on the cam to push the rocket round to release it.

So in this case shorter is better and that's something you don't say everyday.

I hope the picture works as I've not posted a pic for a long time,, so it may be to big or small.

Hmmmmm,, not to bad.

post-13-0-45012800-1421615405_thumb.jpg

No there originals David.

There a bit worn on the notches,, the red nose cones have gone a bit hard and the fins have the odd chip but they seem tough as old boots.

Thats brilliant information, it odd that for the last 3 months I have been trying to work out just what size springs they are and no information anywhere, then there it is on a plate, including the size the hole should be drilled.

many thanks, I will let you know if it works out on the repro rockets. I think I paid $30 for the pair so it is worth the experiment. But yes, the repro are fragile.

Did you just push the springs in place. I was thinking of gluing a plug of plastic to the top of the springs then gluing that to the top of the hole.

If there is any chance you can send me the link to just which seller you got the springs from funrobtik I will order the 6mm versions.

Cheers

Chilli

I don't know how to post direct links but here's the number 331338063181.

Don't forget that the 3.5 inches doesn't give a great launch height but its matter of compromise really. Test it out yourself and see what your happy with.

I'm going to put a bit of epoxy on the bottom of the spring once I'm happy with the performance

Good luck chilli .

Brilliant, thanks. It might be a little while before I put the result on here as i have to get access to a decent bench drill to bore out the rockets. I dont think I can get a big enough drill bit to fit my Dremel setup.

Cheers

Chilli

On compression springs you can stretch them out about 1/3 longer then cut them to length. This make them a little smaller around in size and will make the spring action stronger.

Archived