Alps Rocket Man Launching Problem

funkrobotik

:scratchhead: I've recently purchased an Alps Rocket Man from a toy fair .

Luckily he still has his original rockets but the springs are no longer present so this is the thing,,,, could any of you Rocket Man owners upload a picture of the type of springs that were used,,

I've tried various springs but to get the system to work its not as simple as you might think so that's why I could do with a slight clue.

Thanks in anticipation .

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're stuck up inside, so a picture would be hard! They are about three and a quarter inches long. They come within a quarter inch of where the rocket widens. I would guess seven thirty-seconds (or a tiny bit fatter, nearly a quarter) of an inch in outside diameter. I was surprised they're so thin. I would have expected them to fill the inside of the rocket, but they don't. They are also not all that fine a wire, as they need to pack quite a bit of punch to launch that rocket.

I stuck drill bits up inside to get that diameter. It's about right. a 3/16 bit slides easily inside the spring with a bit or room and the 7/32 inch bit seems to just about cover the outside of the wire. I can't count the coils, or wait, maybe a strong light? Yes! The sun is out, and it's about fifteen coils per inch.

Hi

I have a couple of unsprung repro rockets and would love to know has anyone successfully drilled them out and fitted springs, and details if possible.

Thanks to David for the size info, i was going to have a go at drilling

cheers

Chilli

Must admit one of the fins broke off when i only dropped it. But they were not expensive and it bugs me no end when things dont work. ( got them from the American fella on ebay, great service by the way)

That's brilliant Dave. Thanks a million,

now I have some idea of what I need to achieve.

Do your rockets fire off well ? In fact Dave,, how high do the rockets fire up ?

Ahhhhh thanks Dave.

Actually not as far as I thought they should go.

I saw a different video on the tube and although you couldn't see how far the rockets went the recoil on the robots body gave the impression they would have hit the ceiling.

Perhaps expecting too much.

Spring bins!!!! How wonderful that would be find in the U.K.

my best option was to buy soap dispenser bottles from Aldi's and remove the springs,they were too weak though.

That's shameful! Any hardware store, especially the big box ones now, have zillions of spring variations. Who knows if they'll have any like this, but it's worth a look. Still, I'd rather live in England.

Shame but the British as a whole have forgotten how to fix things up. Cars go on forever now,so kids dont have to get there hands dirty and never learn to hit things with big hammers. I like my hammers!!!

cheers

Chilli

Yes Chilli,I could not agree more.My daughter has a toyota yaris,never misses a beat,hardly anything ever goes wrong with it (touch wood).When I was her age I was forever fixing my British made cars,forever breaking down.I used to carry a workshop in the boot,you never knew what would go wrong next but you knew it would! I have a good selection of hammers too,the British screwdriver!!

Ha, the best satisfaction of repairing a robot is your finger nails are not black afterwards and you still have finger prints on your fingers.

British bangers of in the 70s ehh!!!!

Archived