Attacking Martian: How To Access gray/ green Window Port

Googie

Hi Kirk:

I haven't worked on that toy as of yet. I did Google it and saw what you mean about the gray. A couple of ideas, that type of fabric is still sold today. The key with this type of fabric is to get the right "nap" size. The "nap" is the raised "fuzzy" portion if you will. I assume the color once matched the green of the litho. Neon/lime green shouldn't be to difficult to match.

If you are totally replacing the fabric, carefully remove the existing fabric, likely cutting a seam, or taking apart a seam on the bottom of the toy. Remove the fur and this will give you a template to fabricate a new one. The seam of the new one should be hidden on the bottom. "Medium to high nap" fabric hides seams very well if you are careful. This looks like an easy sew, as it is only a basic tube. Make sure the fabric is long enough to leave the "wrinkles" if you are starting from scratch and no template is available.

If your toy has the original fur and is only faded you can try dyeing it. Remove as mentioned above. A hobby store like Micheals or similar usually has a fabric painting isle.

In regards to fading, my sons room where all the toys are displayed faces North and gets minimal sun. With that said, an effort is made to avoid direct exposure from the window. If you have a real good toy you like, you can buy UV coated display boxes if you would like to go that far.

Your right however fabric is the hardest part of this quest. As mention in a prior post I just finished a Linemar Walking/Drumming Mickey Mouse in terrible shape, but when mint an extremely desirable toy. I lucked out, and found an exact match to the nap, and the color was easy as it was black. You need to think outside the box however. You can replace many "parts" if you are artistic enough and flexible in thinking. Example the rubber nose of Mickey is often dried out and crumbling. Believe or not a fake rubber grape, the right size and shape filled with silicone, some light touch up with paint, and you could not tell the difference unless told.

Of course if you ever resell these items you need to tell what was done to them. My son and I like to "rescue" toys, and the kid loves every one of them. His room is like walking into a small museum !

Hope this helps. Remember to use a steamer to remove fabric and cloth before prying it off.

Best Chris

• 3 months later...

Hello all, Speaking of furry creatures, I have a Mighty Kong with the remote control unit that seems to be moving slowly, beating its arms slowly, not turning its head all the way and the growl is low. Anything I can do here to liven it up ?

• Brian.. changed the title to Attacking Martian: How To Access gray/ green Window Port

Archived