Attacking Martian: How To Access gray/ green Window Port

Googie

Hi Everybody:

Just joined. Is there a direct approach to access the green on/off switch. I have worked on many battery operated Post WW II tin toys from Japan but the robots appear more difficult, and this is my first. Was wondering about accessing the switch and motor. Thanks This site is great.

Best

Chris

John Rigg has probably had the most taken apart, so he'd know. I'd guess you need to take the whole damn thing to pieces to get to the switch and certainly to the motor. They didn't assemble these things for ease of repair. There are a lot of opinions on how not to break tabs when you're undoing them and putting them back, but the best advice is certainly is to do it as few times possible!

Open the two tabs on the side and the back of the top of the shoulders and then pry it up with a thin

blade screwdriver. You will then have access to the on/off switch. I think it is available here:

The two tabs on the side have "O" rings on them. the two tabs on the back are in a slot and those

2 should be pryed up and off with the blade of the screwdriver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toggle-switch-for-Horikawa-robot-/261663886291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cec620bd3

Above each arm are two piece tabs that are sometimes hidden by round fold over caps, sometimes not, but there are oval "washers" that the tabs should be pushed through and folded over. One side of the tab is part of the top plate, the second tab is part of the inner frame, carefully flatten these two tabs together and remove the oval "washer"(a jewelers screwdriver works great) after that you will see three triangle tab holes across the back, I use the same screwdriver to pry the top piece off (work from side to side) the switch is held in place by tabs on the inside. To remove section that holds the gun doors in place, carefully pry the two tabs that are below the doors until they are pointing straight (at you) pry one side of the door frame at a time, there are two tabs on each side one the top ( should try to bend this one by accessing it from the top)and one at the bottom, after that the three sided body is left, it is held in place by tabs that fold around the battery box, a long thin screwdriver should be used.

If you have a camera phone take lots a photos at each stage, trust me!

Thanks to all of you for the great and Quick help ! I will see what I can do. I just fixed a Radio Rex BOT for my son last night he dates back to around 1928. Big difference: he was extremely easy to get into. I have worked on many Post WW II Japanese toys for my son, and I always tell him the hardest thing is not the actual fix, but getting into the toy itself without ruining it.

This Christmas we are given him a start on his space collection. Two thoughts: Robots seem a lot harder to access, and two..................way more expensive. This is why I generally buy toys that need fixing, otherwise I do not think he would be able to collect. A lot of our toys, we "pick" at flea markets, yet we generally do not see robots, except for the Saturn series.

Again thanks to all

Fur covered battery toys are much harder to get into than Tin Robots. once you get the fur off, it

is difficult to get the fur back on to look like nothing has been done to the toy. you need to be a Taxidermist.

Hi Googie and welcome to Alphadrome. I am curious about your Radio Rex robot (I assume by BOT you mean robot) can you post a picture of it here? Thanks!

I found this:
22390_med.jpeg
"The first machine that recognized speech was probably a commercial toy named “Radio Rex” which was sold in the 1920’s. Rex was a celluloid dog that moved (by means of a spring) when the spring was released by 500 Hz acoustic energy. Since 500 Hz is roughly the first formant of the vowel [eh] in “Rex”, the dog seemed to come when he was called. (David, Jr. and Selfridge, 1962)"

Hi There:

Yes fur and clothing can be tricky. The best way I found to remove both is using a handheld steamer. The steam separates the glue and eliminates tearing. I have restored many toys this way. I just finished a total restoration on a Linemar Drumming Mickey Mouse for my son. I do agree though, restoration of these types of toys does require a lot of care, and a good bit of artistic ability, sewing skills, and a mixture of everything else you can think of.

On the positive side however clothes and fur also hide many things ! I am finding robots aren't as forgiven in this aspect.

This site/membership/forum has been an unbelievable help in such a short time, much better than any other site I have been on. Thank you once again.

If I can help anybody in the forum in regards to other tin toys please let me know as I have more experience to date with those toys. Hopefully in the future I will feel just as comfortable with the robots.

Hi:

Yep, that is Radio Rex. There are a couple of versions, That is the wooden housed tin roof version. I just fixed the tin house/tin roof/wooden back version.

The description they use is somewhat probably off base. It is a very simple mechanism, whereby an electromagnet holds a "kicker bar" back, when you clap,or yell loud, it vibrates a piece of paper (speaker) which has a connection to the circuit. Touching this connection to complete it is a hanging metal flap. When the paper vibrates, the hanging metal flap comes off the contact, the circuit is broken, and the "kicker bar" releases shoving the dog out a slide area.

A somewhat later version of this toy Is the Sparky Savings Bank. The toy is basically the same (different dog) (different graphics). The bank portion is actually the box it comes in, not the toy itself ! I have worked on Sparky for my son as well.

Rex is celluloid and very fragile, Sparky is a composite and much sturdier. Both are old, but Rex more so.

Sorry guys my son and I use the terms VBOT (vintage battery operated toy) or BOT (Battery operated toy). Sorry for any confusion, and again we are new in the robot world !

Welcome, Googie I like the Radio Rex. I was unaware myself that such working toys even existed that far back! That is one of the BEST thing I like about this site; we are always sharing info and learning new things. Sounds like you and your son are well on your way to a great robot collection. :cheers:

Hey Googie, How are you at replacing the faded fur on BO Daiya caterpillars. They look great when you get them, but if they're displayed in any sort of light for anytime at all, they fade to gray. Where do you find the right sort of fabric?

Archived