Rex Mars Space Target...with something different

Tinman

This set recently sold at auction and included two Premier spaceship knockoffs as additional targets; something I've never seen before but pretty darn cool!

post-329-0-17255900-1393471093_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-70204500-1393471102_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-28989700-1393471110_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-26297400-1393471116_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-21337400-1393471125_thumb.jpg

I had been watching this item. It sold for $661. Haven't seen a boxed one for sale in quite a while. I wonder if the little space ships really came with the set. I have never seen those before. Anybody else seen them with or without the target set?

Yeah, the auction brought a hefty price, probably because of the ships. Even though I've never seen them they sure look like they were made for the set, especially because of the offset tail-end that allows them to be clipped on the metal target. They're certainly not the average Premier ships because of the closed-in windows. Interesting...

Here's the seller's description:

post-16-0-44865200-1393534023_thumb.jpg

I'd check existing targets to see if there is any litho/paint wear on the top where these rockets sat and were knocked off.

• 2 years later...

Just picked up a second one of these little Premier-like ships to complete a set for my collection; both went for little money considering how rare they seem to be...I'm happy!  Would love to find some documentation to support their authenticity as part of the set.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

Bill -- you search for these more often than I do. If you ever find any more, could you give me a shout? I'd love to complete my set (especially since it's displayed with the prototype). 

It is a little curious -- they're not made by Marx, so I'm not sure how they ended up with the game (if legit). That said, I think they make a lot of sense from the perspective of play value. They provide a greater challenge -- shoot the targets without accidentally hitting the rockets. It could explain the windows, filling them in makes the toy more durable. And the back tabs are definitely a different mold than what's commonly found with the toy. Hard to explain these things if they're NOT legit. 

Still... Toymemories has all -- or at least most -- of the paperwork associated with the target set and I don't think he's ever mentioned these ships to me. I can ask him again, though he's been out of the loop lately and I don't hear from him as often. If he's got any insight, I'll let you know.

Will do Brian, this is only the second one I've see since searching for them.  Are you certain they're not made by Max, other than the general design they have nothing in common with the Premier counterparts?