Alps TV Robot: Repair ideas for a 1961 second edition Alps TV robot

Racerxc70

This one is in A condition, but the colored film that lights the "mouth" has an irregular shape (most likely do to heat from the original light bulb)and since I have the bot disassembled for cleaning I would like to return it back to its original round shape, my idea is to use a thin "O" ring, any thoughts?

I bought this unit for a great price " not working" turned out to be a broken solder connection on the on and off switch.

I'll add photo's of the disassembly for those who haven't seen one that way when I finish.

Heat from the light bulb is not possible since the bulb is located behind the moving picture assembly and just reflects and shines up in to the head area for the mouth color wheel. Also the bulb is so small and low wattage that it does not produce enough heat to melt anything. Factor in that the battery would be dead long before any damage could be done even if the bulb could get that hot. Not its most likly that the robot was stored in a hot environment or in a area where the sun could shine on its hot tin body day after day. The color wheel plastic is mounted to the metal color wheel with small metal tabs and a small bit of clear tape where the ends fit together, this should be enough to hold it in place and flat. But if you can add a O ring in a location that will not effect the operation and look of the color mouth wheel then that should be OK. But if the O ring fits too tight then you might bend up the metal part of the color wheel. a single strand of thin wire wrapped around the the color wheel and twisted together until snug might be better as you can control how tight it is and it will never break down and fall off in the WORKS like a rubber band or "O" ring might.

I once made a replacement film for the Door Robot. I used a printer and transparancy film. I made the design using Paint and then printed it on the transparancy Sheet. you can buy them for InkJet or Laser printers.

• Brian.. changed the title to Alps TV Robot: Repair ideas for a 1961 second edition Alps TV robot

Archived