Jet Smoke Saucer Cragstan Yoshiya inside and out

robothut

• 6 years later...

Hello Robothut!

I have this yoshiya saucer in great condition but I think I messed up... 
My saucer has a different smoke unit... is closed, not that you can open it and add petroleum based oil, it’s a closed unit, I attached some pictures...E1CF385B-1881-4E93-BFE0-8554D262EB7D.jpeg.273e56f3da950d4ab02a864ff696389e.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Roboloco said:

Hello Robothut!

I have this yoshiya saucer in great condition but I think I messed up... 
My saucer has a different smoke unit... is closed, not that you can open it and add petroleum based oil, it’s a closed unit, I attached some pictures...E1CF385B-1881-4E93-BFE0-8554D262EB7D.jpeg.273e56f3da950d4ab02a864ff696389e.jpeg

This is it... the one you showed in the video has a lid, to refill the unit, this one I think must be done through the little tubs or pipes...for some reason it is not working when the toy is on, but it works when I apply direct + and - to the unit with 2 battery’s and cables. Have you ever come across a unit like this? You know the switch makes the power go to the light bulb and transmisión and then switches to the smoke unit, but nothing happens, again it dos applying direct energy.

I decided to investigate a little further and opened the smoke unit and here’s what I found...DBA1A679-4744-445E-A218-FFA7D4631CC6.jpeg.0d42b72db4415d3d42e07f5d3a394dd5.jpeg

After taking the lid out I found a piece of wool cotton, and like a pair of tiny cotton laces in a completely dry section of the smoke unit, I thought I was going to find some wet oily and dirty section, but for my surprise It was clean like new and with some oily based perfume to it... everything clean and dry.

The unit worked perfect till, I broke it...I looks I investigated too much and desoldered the heat unit inside the first camera... in the picture its visible the tiny heater, very small that I guess I must have desoldered when investigating....too much investigation ruined my smoke unit...
Anybody came across a unit like this and can tell me if it can be fixed? I was thinking I can cut it open with a Dremel, and solder the heater resistance  again, (not happy to do it though... the piece was like new till I layer my hands on it...) thinking loud I guess it might be better to pull from those 2 little cotton laces and try by all means to open the internal lid, and solder the micro heater would be much better than cutting through the entire unit...I also know marklin sells some heaters for trains...
someone help please!!!
Thanks in advance and everybody stay safe!
Roboloco, from unbelievable Argentina, Disneyland for crooks!

7C314844-7BFF-49A4-9E7B-5A49C13CDF19.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Constantan heater wire can not be soldered, connections to it are always crimped to metal tabs that can be soldered to. And even if you could solder to Constantan wire the heat from the wire would just melt the solder. Yes your wick is totally dry it needs to be soaked in light grade oil or smoke fluid. You should be able to use a ohm meter to see if the heater wire is broken or not. If it has just come lose from one of its crimped ends then re crimp it. Your heater design looks to have 1 end of the Constantan wire crimped to the metal frame of the heater and the other end connected to the solder tab on top. It looks like they used a screw base lamp as the top solder and isolation connection. 

Dear John thank you so much for helping me with this toy, I will let you know once fixed, if I can...I will follow you instructions.

Stay safe!

Juan