Jet Smoke Saucer Cragstan Yoshiya inside and out

robothut

I had the chance to repair a Cragstan Flying Saucer with Jet Smoke Exhaust pipes today so thought I would take some pictures and video of the toy operating as well as inside shots and repair tips. Here is a You Tube that says it all.

http://youtu.be/wju_r-m5G-Y

and here is a picture with some points of interest.

JetSmokeSaucerGuts.jpg

I did look up the saucer in the Alphadrome data base and found it said the saucer had bump and go action, the jet smoke version does not have bump and go action it has Stop and go action, you set the direction it goes by turning the front wheel. There is a nice space siren sound made by a metal feeler and sound box that rub on a gear on the end of the motor shaft. Also on that same end of the motor shaft is a blower that blows the air to the smoker. The same cam set up that switched the mechanics from driving the wheels to stopping also controls a switch that turns on the power to the smoker when the ship is not moving. The smokers will need more smoking oil as its been along time since they last fueled up. If you do not want to take your saucer apart then you can get some smoke fluid in to the smoker there the tail pipes just let it run in and be wicked up by the wick in the smoker.

Holy Smoke ! :eeek: (pun I know) That is some C R A Z Y smoke stream. Definitely warrants the "JET SMOKE" moniker

Nice video . Never seen one work properly like that ...until now !!

I love this series of saucers and have all the different versions, but my smoker doesn't blow like this baby! Great work, John!!

Well when the ships were new they blew smoke like this, the problem is as they say the light that shines twice as bright shines 1/2 as long, and with smokers this is also true, if you produce a ton of smoke then you will run out of smoke juice "light grade oil" faster. I would bet that back in the day with cheep carbon batteries the toy probably blew smoke great for 2 sets of batteries then kind of blew less and less, if you know what I mean.

• 3 months later...

On vintage smoking toys any light grade oil will work like a sewing machine oil, but if you buy a oil made just for smoking units that will work better in that you get more smoke and less smell. there are two types of smoke fluid, petroleum based and glycol based. For the vintage stuff you need the petroleum based. You can buy this type smoke fluid for toy trains at most hobby stores and on line. just make sure its the petroleum based for these vintage smokers or it will not work.

• 2 months later...

Hi Robothut

Could you post a close up of the light bulb, I found an online site called "Bulbtown" that may have what I need and I want to make sure.

( I promise no more fungus talk )

Sorry the repair job was for Oz and that was last year. but the bulb is nothing special just a normal old 2.4 too 2.7 volt bulb like you will find in any old toy and even some dollar store things.